Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Western Hemisphere

IIE Contact

For information on programs in the Western Hemisphere, contact:

2022-2023 Western Hemisphere Program Information
Regional Program:

Selection for countries in Central America and the Caribbean will be made based on the quality of the applications, rather than per-country quotas. Distribution of awards to countries in the region will vary annually according to the caliber of the applicants.

English Teaching Assistant Programs are available to:

Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay.

Unlisted Countries:

If the country in which you are interested does not appear, please check with IIE before filing an application.

For Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines all applicants will be considered, but Masters and Ph.D. applicants may be given preference.

Applicants interested in overseas territories (French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Netherland Antilles, etc.) should consult the Program Manager for Europe.

Grants are not available to:

Bahamas, Belize, Cuba, Guyana, Haiti, Suriname or U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands. No case-by-case consideration or exceptions will be made.

Grant period:

Varies for independent research. Grantees affiliating with academic institutions in Central and South America may be required to begin their grants in February/March to coincide with the academic year. ETA programs in Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Panama begin in January 2023, and in Argentina and Peru, begin in March 2023.

Zika Travel Information:

Cases of the Zika virus have been reported in the Western Hemisphere. As you prepare your Fulbright application, we encourage you to read the information Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website.