Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


Select award for detailed information
stdClass Object ( [id] => 87 [country_id] => 136 [grant_type_id] => 8 [number_of_grants] => 18 [title] => Open Study/Research Award [content] => {"fields":[{"name":"Specialized Grant Types","id":"specialized_grant_types","type":"options","visibility":2,"value":[]},{"name":"Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants","id":"fulbright_graduate_degree_grants","type":"checkbox","visibility":2,"value":false},{"name":"CLEA Availability","id":"clea_availability","type":"checkbox","visibility":2,"value":false},{"name":"Award Profile","id":"award_profile","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":"

Fulbright Canada awards offer a unique opportunity to explore a wide range of scholarly issues, including important contemporary issues that are relevant to Canada, and the United States, and to the relationship between the two countries.


American students can take up a Fulbright Canada award in one of three ways: Formal Enrollment, Research Award, or Independent Research Award.


While the competition is officially open to all fields, Fulbright Canada is especially keen to support students in the areas of public policy, public health, Canadian-American relations, Arctic studies, artificial intelligence, law, the pure and applied sciences, and the topics relating to energy, the economy, and the environment.  Fulbright Canada also has a special interest in indigenous students and indigenous studies.


All applicants are required to demonstrate the relevance of their projects to Fulbright Canada's mandate, which is to enhance mutual understanding between our two countries.



"},{"name":"Grant Period","id":"grant_period","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Fall Start","value":"

Grant Length: 9 months.


Grants normally coincide with the academic year (September to May).
Shorter grant periods (6 months minimum) may be considered on an exceptional basis for those intending to only conduct research (not enrolled in a formal program).

"}},{"name":"Orientation","id":"orientation","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"In-Country Orientation","value":"

Orientation is an annual event which brings new U.S. Fulbrighters in Canada together for a program of professional and personal development.  The new scholars and students are provided with the opportunity to participate in a specific program of academic, cultural and professional activities, spend time in the national capital, and meet other Fulbrighters, Fulbright Canada staff members, Board members, U.S. government officials, and Canadian Government officials.

"}},{"name":"Candidate Profile","id":"candidate_profile","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":"

American citizens who are graduate students, prospective graduate students, or promising young professionals who wish to study and/or conduct research in Canada. 
Applicants may: 1) plan to enroll in a graduate program at a university in Canada, 2) be enrolled in a graduate program at a U.S. institution and wish to conduct research in Canada that will support their U.S. degree, or 3) have completed an undergraduate degree or Master's and wish to pursue independent research in Canada.

"},{"name":"Accepted Degree Levels","id":"accepted_degree_levels","type":"options","visibility":1,"value":["Bachelor's","Master's","Doctoral"]},{"name":"Supplementary Project","id":"supplementary_project","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"","value":""}},{"name":"Foreign Language Proficiency","id":"foreign_language_proficiency","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Not Required","value":"

French language ability commensurate with the requirements of the project and/or the requirements of the institution at any of the Francophone institutions and a Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level French language instructor is required.
Several bilingual universities offer courses in both French and English. For further information, please contact Fulbright Canada ( directly.

"}},{"name":"Critical Language Enhancement Award","id":"critical_language_enhancement_award","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":""},{"name":"Fulbright Proposal Types","id":"fulbright_proposal_types","type":"options_array","visibility":1,"value":[{"name":"Independent Study/Research","id":"isr","value":"Yes"},{"name":"Graduate Degree Enrollment","id":"gde","value":"Yes"}]},{"name":"Affiliation","id":"affiliation","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Letter required for independent research at deadline","value":"

Awards may be held at any university, research center, think tank, or government agency in Canada.


Degree seeking candidates are not required to have secured an affiliation or provide a letter of invitation at the time of application. Degree seeking Finalists must provide a letter of acceptance to the degree program prior to Fulbright grant start. 


Independent research applicants are responsible for obtaining a letter of invitation from their intended host institution and must adhere to all host institution regulations pertaining to visiting students/researchers. Applicants are encouraged to establish an affiliation with the intended host institution at an early stage and ideally have a fallback position. 



"}},{"name":"Affiliation Fees/Tuition","id":"affiliation_fees","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"","value":"

US$20,000 fixed sum for one nine-month academic year (September to May).
The award is meant to help offset tuition, fees, cost of living, and related expenses.


A number of Canadian universities offer competitive graduate awards that can supplement the Fulbright Canada award. In addition, some provinces provide direct awards for enrolled graduate students who hold external awards such as a Fulbright grant.  Tuition waivers are extremely rare at Canadian universities.

"}},{"name":"Housing Arrangements","id":"housing_arrangements","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":""},{"name":"Placement Type","id":"placement_type","type":"multitype","visibility":1,"value":[{"type":"options","value":[]},{"type":"text","value":""}]},{"name":"Eligibility","id":"eligibility","type":"multitype","visibility":1,"value":[{"type":"options_array","value":[{"name":"","id":"f_eligibility_01","value":"Dual citizens of this country are eligible"},{"name":"","id":"f_eligibility_02","value":"Residency in host country not permitted in year prior to grant"}]},{"type":"text","value":"

Bachelor's degree must be conferred prior to taking up grant. 
Applicants who will have received a Ph.D. by December 31, 2021, should apply to the Fulbright Scholar Program, see

"}]},{"name":"Special Application Instructions","id":"special_application_instructions","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":"

Applicants must identify in the Project Abstract and the first paragraph of their Statement of Grant Purpose the broad category that best describes their project proposal:

  1. Formal enrollment awards (Graduate Degree Enrollmentare intended for students who plan to enroll in a graduate program at a university in Canada and propose a specific project as part of their Canadian graduate program. Formal enrollment candidates must apply directly to Canadian graduate programs at the same time as they apply for a Fulbright award. Fulbright Canada is not involved in university admissions.  This award would help support the first nine months of the academic year of the student's graduate degree.
  2. \n
  3. Research Awards (Affiliated Study/Researchare intended for students enrolled in a graduate program at an American university, and who wish to conduct research in Canada that will support their U.S. degree (MA or Ph.D.).
  4. \n
  5. Independent Research Awards (Independent Study/Research) are intended for researchers who have completed an undergraduate degree or a master's degree and wish to pursue one academic year of independent research in Canada.
  6. \n

Applicants must list their potential host institution(s) in the Statement of Grant Purpose.

"},{"name":"Custom Fields","id":"custom_fields","type":"custom","value":[{"name":"Special Opportunities","value":"

Fulbright/John R. Oishei Award: This award is available for an American student who is from Buffalo, NY, permanently residing in the greater Buffalo area, or studying in Buffalo. Applicants interested in pursuing their studies in the fields of business, health care, education, and cultural, social or civic needs of the community are eligible. The Foundation gives priority to innovative, creative, and time-limited programs or projects. All qualified applicants will be considered; special notation on the application is not required.


Enrichment Opportunities: An integral part of the program includes Fulbright Canada enrichment opportunities, which are available to Fulbright Canada alumni on a competitive basis.  Of note is the Mobility Program, which includes Fall Orientation in the nation's capital, and the Professional Development Program which encourages travel to a different city or region of Canada during your residential exchange. Other opportunities, such as the Community Action Program and the Community Leadership Program are also available.



"}]},{"name":"Dependents","id":"dependents","type":"options","value":["Dependent support is not available"]},{"name":"Placement Locations","id":"placement_locations","type":"multitype","value":[{"type":"options","value":[]},{"type":"text","value":""}]},{"name":"Fulbright Program Management Contact","id":"pm_contact","type":"text","value":""},{"name":"Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website","id":"embassy_website","type":"link","value":""},{"name":"Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact","id":"embassy_contact","type":"custom","value":[{"name":"Paulo Carvalho, Program Officer","value":""}]},{"name":"Additional Online Resources","id":"resources","type":"custom","value":[]},{"name":"Is new for this year","id":"is_new","type":"checkbox","value":false}]} [is_new] => 0 [step] => 6 [status] => 1 [updated_on] => 2021-07-27 19:50:47 [finalized_date] => 2019-03-22 17:28:35 [countryName] => Canada [regionId] => 18 [countryCode] => CA [countryAlias] => canada [regionName] => Western Hemisphere [regionAlias] => western-hemisphere [regionColor] => #3C3292 [regionPosition] => a:3:{i:0;d:1.7;i:1;i:-60;i:2;i:0;} [regionBgColor] => #007397 [regionBgHoverColor] => #005975 )
Open Study/Research Award