Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Contact Us

 For Fulbright U.S. Student Program inquiries:  

Program Email Phone Point of Contact
General application inquiries 1-800-272-6994 William Westerman and Erika Walsh
Fulbright Program Advisers 212-984-5327 Lora Seery and Sarah Deschenes
East Asia-Pacific 646-308-7213 Alexa Rowland
Europe & Eurasia 212-984-5477 Ashley Lynch
Middle East & North Africa 202-326-7880 Jumana Kamal
South and Central Asia 212-984-5519 Cara Doble
Sub-Saharan Africa 212-984-5341 Jermaine Jones
Western Hemisphere 312-254-3210 Maya Andelson
Fulbright-National Geographic Storytelling Fellowship 1-800-272-6994 Susan Muendl


Media Contacts & Outreach

For Media related questions, please e-mail:

Technical Issues

For suggestions or comments about technical issues with (e.g. broken links, slow loading, omissions, user–friendliness), please contact

For technical issues with the Fulbright U.S. Student Online Application (e.g. uploading issues, errors, or issues submitting), please contact

Other Fulbright Opportunities

If you are a non-U.S. citizen applying to the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, please visit the Fulbright Foreign Student website.

For U.S. and foreign faculty and professionals looking to apply to the Fulbright Program, please visit the Fulbright Scholar Program website.

Institute of International Education

Fulbright U.S. Student Program Division
One World Trade Center, 36th Floor
New York, NY 10007