US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.

Health Benefits Plan For U.S. Student Fulbrighters

The U.S. Department of State has established health and accident benefits for all Fulbright Fellows. The Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE) is a basic policy and it is not a substitute for your private health benefits coverage. It is not intended to cover long-term health care and has limitations in coverage. For this reason, you are encouraged to maintain your current policy or to obtain comprehensive health insurance coverage to offset the cost of major medical contingencies that may occur when you are abroad, to cover you if you travel outside of the host country, and/or to provide you with immediate coverage when you return to the U.S.

The ASPE policy provides coverage up to $100,000 per illness or accident with a $25 deductible for each claim. The Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges Booklet is available at Seven Corners.  To print your membership card, go to the MyPlan section of the website, using your Fulbright Grantee ID number as your Participant ID.

Seven Corners Health Benefits

Available Services

  • Medical referrals for doctors and hospitals
  • Medical and prescription claims
  • Medical evacuations
  • Assistance with questions on ASPE coverage and medical bills

Seven Corners Contact Information

Toll Free: (800) 461-0430
Collect Outside U.S.: (317) 818-2867


Frequently Asked Questions

When does my coverage start and end?

Generally, coverage begins when you leave the U.S. for your grant country and continues until you return to the U.S. at the end of the grant period. In most circumstances, you are only covered while you are in your grant country during the grant period. Stopovers during travel, diversionary travel outside of the country of assignment, or stays in the country prior to the start of the grant or after completion of the grant will not be covered by the Department's benefits. You will not be covered if you take a trip or vacation outside of your host country. See the Booklet for further details on when and where you are covered.

Seven Corners can provide assistance to U.S. students trying to locate a physician overseas and in some cases has established a process where overseas physicians can direct bill Seven Corners (lessening the out-of-pocket expenses for U.S. grantees). U.S. grantees will also have the option to order maintenance drugs prior to their overseas departure. Download the Quick Reference Guide to the ASPE program for U.S. Students.
Where can I find information about supplemental medical insurance for me or general coverage for my family?
Neither IIE nor the State Department provides supplemental medical insurance for grantees or coverage for their dependents. If you require insurance coverage for periods when you are not in the host country, following your Fulbright grant, and/or for your dependents, here is a list of companies that offer Short-term Insurance for Educational Exchange Participants.
How do I file a claim?
U.S. grantees generally will pay for medical services abroad and then file a claim with Seven Corners. The Seven Corners website and the APSE Insurance booklet provide detailed information and claim forms; however, keep in mind that to receive reimbursement for medical services, you will need to provide the following:
  1. Fully itemized, original bills including Patient’s Name, Nature of Illness/Injury

  2. Description and Charge for each service provided

Note that if you need extensive treatment (i.e., surgery, extensive tests, etc.), you should contact the Seven Corners Administrator to determine coverage and payments.

Who should I contact when I have questions about eligibility, filing a claim or a claim status?

All queries regarding the ASPE plan should be directed to the program administrator, Seven Corner, Inc.

Seven Corners, Inc.P.O. Box 3724
Carmel, Indiana 46082-3724 USA
1-800-461-0430 (toll free for grantees in the United States)
317-818-2867 (a collect call for grantees outside of the United States)