US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


9 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Fall Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

Up to 9 awards are available for U.S. students wishing to study at the graduate level and/or conduct independent supervised research in Sweden. The grant provides a maintenance allowance for 9 months and a one-time relocation allowance to cover round-trip travel to and from Sweden and minor costs associated with relocation. Please be aware that if a degree-seeking student attends a 2-year master's program, the Fulbright grant is for the first year only. Extensions of the 9-month grant are rare but may be considered on a case-by-case basis. The Fulbright grant is intended to cover living expenses and does not cover tuition fees.

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
Fall Start

Grant Length: 9 months.

Grantees are expected to schedule their academic programs to coincide with the Swedish academic year (September 2025 – May 2026) while exact arrival and departure times may vary.


In-Country Orientation

A mandatory orientation session is held mid-September for all incoming U.S. grantees. The date of the orientation will be announced after grantees are selected.

Candidate Profile

All degree levels are welcome; from recently graduated bachelor students up to the Ph.D. dissertation level across all disciplines. Students in their final year of their bachelor’s studies will need to show proof of graduation prior to the start of the Fulbright program.

Awards are available for:

  • candidates applying for a master's degree program in Sweden (1 or 2 years)
  • candidates who wish to conduct supervised research at a Swedish university or research institution
  • current doctoral students in the U.S. planning to pursue research in Sweden toward their dissertation

Academic qualifications should be specific to a clear and feasible project or study plan. Candidates must be mature, self-motivated individuals who are capable of working independently with little supervision and demonstrate adaptability, resilience, and openness.

While affiliations are most often academic institutions, they may also include museums, cultural organizations, NGOs, and think tanks. Candidates applying for degree programs should be aware that the Fulbright award provides a maintenance allowance (not tuition) for the first year only and that they will need to submit proof of admission to the university program before the Fulbright award can be finalized.

As part of the Fulbright award, grantees are expected to attend the welcome orientation held in September and to attend other events organized during the year by the Commission. They should also be prepared to serve as active representatives of the United States and the Fulbright program during their time in Sweden.

Information on studying in Sweden and Swedish institutions of higher education can be found at

At-large candidates may be subject to a personal (online) interview.



What is life like for Fulbrighters in the host country?

During their time in Sweden, Fulbright grantees are invited to attend events organized by the Commission, the U.S. Embassy, and the Swedish Fulbright Alumni Association (SFAA), and are also encouraged to participate in activities outside the classroom. Many of these activities are highlighted on the Fulbright Commission's social media pages. General information about student life in Sweden can be found at:

Important Note: Fulbright grants are sufficient to cover a grantee’s living expenses in Sweden, but not much more. Please note that no additional funding is provided for tuition, translators, lab fees, equipment, supplies, or travel for fieldwork.


Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Degree Level of Applicant
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Swedish language proficiency is not required. Some study of Swedish prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote social engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Letter of acceptance required prior to grant start

Grantees at a Swedish institution of higher education are expected to conduct full-time study or research and must have a suitable academic adviser. 

Degree-seeking students: Students who plan to pursue a degree should not expect admission to the degree program or institution prior to applying for a Fulbright grant and therefore are not expected to include a letter of admission with their applications. Degree-seeking students must submit a copy of their admission letter to the Swedish Fulbright Commission at as soon as they receive it from the Swedish university (usually in March/April). Degree-seeking students who are not admitted to their proposed program will not be considered for the Fulbright grant.

Independent researchers: Grantees conducting independent research must be affiliated with a Swedish university or college, research institute, governmental agency, or other acceptable organization.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with a Swedish host institution. Grantees must submit evidence of affiliation at the time of application.

Please see the Fulbright website at for tips on securing an affiliation. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits

Swedish universities and institutes of higher education charge tuition for foreign students from outside the European Union. While research activities carried out in Sweden by U.S. students will usually remain free of charge*, grantees coming to Sweden to conduct coursework or enroll in a degree program will most likely be required to pay tuition. Tuition waivers and scholarships may be available at the discretion of the individual universities. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the university directly regarding all tuition and other financial matters, including options to audit courses.

Tuition and any research costs are not covered by the Fulbright grant. Further information about funding for study in Sweden can be found at:

* Some institutions may require U.S. doctoral candidates intending to conduct research to show proof of financial support in addition to that provided by the Fulbright grant and should contact their host advisor for details.

Award Benefits
  • A stipend broadly based on the cost of living in the host country. These funds may be used by the grantee to support housing, meals, and incidental costs during the grant period.
  • International travel benefits
  • Accident & sickness health benefits
  • 24/7 mental health support line for urgent and non-urgent situations
  • 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government
Stipend Amount

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

13 000 monthly stipend amount in
kr [Swedish Krona]

A monthly maintenance allowance intended to cover living expenses will be paid to a Swedish bank account only. Grantees will receive assistance from the Commisison to set up a bank account upon arrival to Sweden. This process will take 2-3 weeks.

One-Time Allowances

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

15 000 in
kr [Swedish Krona]
  • Excess baggage fees
  • Settling in allowance

The one-time travel/relocation allowance is primarily intended to cover round-trip travel to and from Sweden and may also be used toward excess baggage fees, in-country travel costs and minor relocation expenses. This allowance will be paid to a grantee's Swedish bank account upon arrival to Sweden.

Additional Grant Benefits
  • Diplomatic pouch

Grantees may ship academic materials to Sweden via the U.S. Embassy diplomatic pouch.

Estimated Cost of Living

Consider using cost of living comparison websites to gain a better understanding of the potential costs in your host country.

Please see for useful information regarding the cost of living for students in Sweden, as well as a budgeting guide. 

Dependent financial support is NOT available
Housing Arrangements

Accommodation is not provided for grantees. Please note that finding accommodation as a student or researcher at a Swedish university is difficult. It can prove to be one of the greatest challenges facing incoming grantees. 

Fulbright grantees are encouraged as early as possible to check the relevant websites for housing options and to make inquiries with their Swedish academic advisors, as well as contact current Fulbright grantees for any tips they may have. Many university housing offices allow students to register in their queue systems prior to being formally admitted into the university and some university housing offices have waiting lists of up to one year. Applicants should not wait until formal notification of the grant to place their names on a waiting list.

Students enrolled in a degree program in Stockholm should register at SSSB (Stockholms Studentbostäder). Other websites that advertise short-term housing off campus are: Samtrygg, Qasa, and Hemavi. Previous grantees have also had success finding rental opportunities on the website Blocket Bostad. Co-living opportunities are another attractive and affordable option in many main cities, such as Hus24 and others in Stockholm, UNITY in Stockholm or Malmö, and COLIVE in Stockholm, Gothenburg, and soon in Lund. 

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Fulbright Commission:
Additional Online Resources
Study in Sweden: