Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


Select award for detailed information
stdClass Object ( [id] => 188 [country_id] => 241 [grant_type_id] => 8 [number_of_grants] => 10 [title] => Open Study/Research Award [content] => {"fields":[{"name":"Specialized Grant Types","id":"specialized_grant_types","type":"options","visibility":2,"value":[]},{"name":"Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants","id":"fulbright_graduate_degree_grants","type":"checkbox","visibility":2,"value":false},{"name":"CLEA Availability","id":"clea_availability","type":"checkbox","visibility":2,"value":false},{"name":"Award Profile","id":"award_profile","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":"

Up to 10 awards are available for American students wishing to study at the pre- and graduate levels and/or conduct independent research in Sweden. The grant provides a maintenance allowance for 9 months and a travel allowance toward round-trip travel to and from Sweden. 

"},{"name":"Grant Period","id":"grant_period","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Fall Start","value":"

Grant Length: 9 months.


Grantees are expected to schedule their academic programs to coincide with the Swedish academic year (September 2022 - May 2023) while exact arrival and departure times may vary.


Please be aware that if a degree-seeking student attends a 2-year master´s program, the Fulbright grant is for the first year only.

"}},{"name":"Orientation","id":"orientation","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"In-Country Orientation","value":"

Mandatory in mid-September.

"}},{"name":"Candidate Profile","id":"candidate_profile","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":"

Well-qualified candidates at all degree levels are welcome to apply, doctoral candidates up to the dissertation level.


Fulbright grantees undertake one year of instruction or conduct research at a Swedish university or research center. While affiliations should be academic, they may also include museums, cultural organizations and think tanks. 


Consideration will be given to clearly-defined projects requiring a student’s presence in Sweden. Grantees are expected to attend the welcome orientation held in September and to participate in the activities organized during the year by the Commission. They should also be prepared to serve as active representatives of the US and the Fulbright program during their time in Sweden.


Information on studying in Sweden and Swedish institutions of higher education can be found at


At-large candidates may be subject to an interview.

"},{"name":"Accepted Degree Levels","id":"accepted_degree_levels","type":"options","visibility":1,"value":["Bachelor's","Master's","Doctoral"]},{"name":"Supplementary Project","id":"supplementary_project","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"","value":""}},{"name":"Foreign Language Proficiency","id":"foreign_language_proficiency","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Not Required","value":"

Swedish language proficiency is not required. Some study of Swedish prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

"}},{"name":"Critical Language Enhancement Award","id":"critical_language_enhancement_award","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":""},{"name":"Fulbright Proposal Types","id":"fulbright_proposal_types","type":"options_array","visibility":1,"value":[{"name":"Independent Study/Research","id":"isr","value":"Yes"},{"name":"Graduate Degree Enrollment","id":"gde","value":"Yes"}]},{"name":"Affiliation","id":"affiliation","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Letter recommended at deadline","value":"

Grantees at a Swedish institution of higher education are expected to conduct full-time study or research and must have a suitable academic adviser. 


Degree seeking students: Students who plan to pursue a degree should not expect admission to the degree program or institution prior to applying for a Fulbright grant and therefore are not expected to include a letter of admission with their applications. Degree-seeking students must submit a copy of their admission letter to the Swedish Fulbright Commission;, as soon as they receive it from the Swedish university (usually in March/April). Degree-seeking students who are not admitted to their proposed program cannot be considered for the grant.


Independent researchers: Grantees conducting independent research must be affiliated with a Swedish university or college, research institute, governmental agency, or other acceptable organization.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with a Swedish university or research center. While it is not necessary to have finalized affiliation arrangements at the time of application, grantees must submit evidence of affiliation before applying for the resident permit.


Please see the Fulbright website to access “Guidelines for Prospective Host Affiliations and Advisors” at

"}},{"name":"Affiliation Fees/Tuition","id":"affiliation_fees","type":"pair","visibility":1,"value":{"name":"Tuition not covered in grant benefits","value":"

Swedish universities and institutes of higher education charge tuition for foreign students from outside the European Union. While research activities carried out in Sweden by U.S. students will usually remain free of charge*, grantees coming to Sweden to conduct coursework or enroll in a degree program will most likely be required to pay tuition. Tuition waivers and scholarships may be available at the discretion of the individual universities. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the university directly regarding all tuition and other financial matters.


Tuition and any research costs are not covered by the Fulbright grant. Further information concerning funding for study in Sweden can be found at:


* Some institutions may require US doctoral candidates intending to conduct research to show proof of financial support in addition to that provided by the Fulbright grant and should contact their host advisor for details.

"}},{"name":"Housing Arrangements","id":"housing_arrangements","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":"

Accomodation is not provided for grantees. Please note that finding accommodation as a student or researcher at a Swedish university is difficult. It can prove to be one of the greatest challenges facing incoming grantees. 


Fulbright grantees are encouraged as early as possible to check the relevant websites for housing alternatives, to make inquiries to their Swedish academic advisors as well as contact current Fulbright grantees for any tips they may have. Many university housing offices allow students to register in their queue systems prior to being formally admitted into the university and some university housing offices have waiting lists of up to one year. Applicants should not wait until formal notification of the grant to place their names on the waiting list.


Students planning to live and conduct coursework in Stockholm should register at: Other websites that advertise short-term housing off campus are:,, and the online news source in English at

"},{"name":"Placement Type","id":"placement_type","type":"multitype","visibility":1,"value":[{"type":"options","value":[]},{"type":"text","value":""}]},{"name":"Eligibility","id":"eligibility","type":"multitype","visibility":1,"value":[{"type":"options_array","value":[{"name":"","id":"f_eligibility_01","value":"Dual citizens of this country are eligible"},{"name":"","id":"f_eligibility_02","value":"Residency in host country not permitted in year prior to grant"}]},{"type":"text","value":""}]},{"name":"Special Application Instructions","id":"special_application_instructions","type":"text","visibility":1,"value":""},{"name":"Custom Fields","id":"custom_fields","type":"custom","value":[]},{"name":"Dependents","id":"dependents","type":"options","value":["Dependent support is available"]},{"name":"Placement Locations","id":"placement_locations","type":"multitype","value":[{"type":"options","value":[]},{"type":"text","value":""}]},{"name":"Fulbright Program Management Contact","id":"pm_contact","type":"text","value":""},{"name":"Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website","id":"embassy_website","type":"link","value":""},{"name":"Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact","id":"embassy_contact","type":"custom","value":[{"name":"Maria Carle","value":""}]},{"name":"Additional Online Resources","id":"resources","type":"custom","value":[]},{"name":"Is new for this year","id":"is_new","type":"checkbox","value":false}]} [is_new] => 0 [step] => 6 [status] => 1 [updated_on] => 2021-03-29 13:37:34 [finalized_date] => 2019-03-22 18:24:47 [countryName] => Sweden [regionId] => 21 [countryCode] => SE [countryAlias] => sweden [regionName] => Europe & Eurasia [regionAlias] => europe-and-eurasia [regionColor] => #3daa65 [regionPosition] => a:3:{i:0;i:3;i:1;i:45;i:2;i:60;} [regionBgColor] => #a3d284 [regionBgHoverColor] => #7bb157 )
Open Study/Research Award