US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


3 Fulbright-Université Grenoble Alpes Award NEW

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Fall Start
Grant Length
8-10 Months
Award Type
Special Study/Research
Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants
  • Yes
Award Profile

Two to three awards of 8 to 10 months each are offered to pursue a Master's degree or doctoral research at the Université Grenoble Alpes in any of the disciplines represented at the university.

The Université Grenoble Alpes is ranked among the top ten universities in France, and the top 150 universities in the world. It brings together 59,000 students, of whom 10,500 are international. The university has 30 departments and schools, representing a wide variety of fields, from literature to particle physics to engineering to architecture to political science to sociology to biology. The Université Grenoble Alpes is well-known for its strong research infrastructure, with 13 doctoral schools, 70 laboratories, 6 research clusters, 13 laboratories of excellence, and many international collaborative projects.

Grenoble is located at the foot of the Alps, and is home to a thriving high tech research network and international community, and is well-known for its commitment to environmental sustainability.

Grant Length
8-10 Months
Grant Period
Fall Start

For master’s students, grants will generally begin on September 1 through June 30 for university attendance. They may be renewed for a second year of studies, conditional upon results. For doctoral candidates, grants are a minimum of 8 months and a maximum of 10 months in duration.

In-Country Orientation

Grantees will be required to attend a mandatory 1- to 2-day in-country orientation in late September or early October, and a 2-day mid-year conference in February (organized by the Fulbright Commission in France).

Candidate Profile

• Graduating college seniors, recent graduates, and current holders of bachelor’s or master’s degrees interested in a master’s degree offered through the Université Grenoble Alpes 

• Students enrolled in a doctoral program in the United States interested in pursuing research for their thesis at the Université Grenoble Alpes 

Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
9 Months

Doctoral candidates must not have obtained their PhD before completing the proposed Fulbright grant period in France. Otherwise, they should plan on applying to the Scholar program.

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

In the Fulbright online application, please select Université Grenoble Alpes Award from the Award Name drop-down menu.

Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: French language proficiency is recommended, commensurate with the requirements of the project. In the Fulbright online application, applicants should include the Language Self-Evaluation and a Foreign Language Evaluation by a professional language instructor in relation to their language proficiency.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Letter of acceptance required prior to grant start

For doctoral candidates, it is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with an institution or research unit attached to the Université Grenoble Alpes. A letter of affiliation should be submitted with the application. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition covered in grant benefits

A full tuition waiver to the degree program is provided for master’s students. Please note that, according to French law, all students are required to pay student fees ("contribution de vie étudiante et de campus" or CVEC) as part of enrollment. In 2022-2023, these fees were 95 euros.

Housing Arrangements

Grantees are responsible for finding housing in France.

Dependent financial support is NOT available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact