US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.

South Korea

75 English Teaching Assistant Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
Grant Period
January Start
Grant Length
11 Months
Award Type
English Teaching Assistant
Award Profile

English Teaching Assistant (ETA) grantees fulfill the role of full-time teachers in Korean primary or secondary schools. They teach and work alongside their Korean co-workers, becoming an integral part of the school. While doing so, they also take on the role of a cultural ambassador, allowing students and faculty to see another side of the U.S. through their lessons, discussions, demeanor, and shared experiences. ETAs usually do the following at school:

  • Teach up to 22 classes during the 40-hour school week
  • Build curriculums and plan lessons for classes based on self-selected topics and/or approved textbook curriculum materials
  • Conduct a summer English camp for students interested in English
  • Lead an after-school club

Other possible teaching responsibilities include consulting with teachers on American cultural issues, assisting in the editing or writing of educational materials for English teaching, conducting language evaluations, etc. 

All ETAs are assigned a Fulbright co-teacher that serves as the primary point of contact between the school and the ETA. The Fulbright co-teacher may be an English teacher or another staff member. ETAs usually co-teach alongside their certified English teacher co-workers. Classroom involvement by co-teachers varies greatly between different grade and English ability levels. Some co-teaching situations may involve co-teachers who only translate; others may involve co-teachers who actively plan and lead classes together with the ETA. Since co-teaching varies, ETAs should be prepared to plan and conduct lessons independently.

ETAs should understand that the nature of the ETA grant is a full-time teaching job, and an ETA's first responsibility is to their school. ETAs may be assigned more than one school based on need, but cumulative teaching responsibilities shall not exceed 22 hours per week.

Grant Length
11 Months
Grant Period
January Start

The grant runs from early January 2026 until mid-December 2026.

Note on authorized leave: An accepted ETA grantee's first responsibility is to the Korean host school. ETAs will have a total of eighteen (18) business days of personal leave, 10-12 of which must be used during the summer break period established by the host school.

Candidates must be aware that, apart from during the summer break period, and dependent on Commission travel policy, they will not be permitted to travel outside the host country. Individuals should not apply for or accept this award unless they are able to commit to this academic schedule.

Individuals should also not apply for or accept this award if they have intentions of leaving the program early to attend graduate school or pursue other professional opportunities; early departure from the program will not be approved. Host schools expect ETAs to be dedicated to teaching throughout the full grant period, and, as with other schools, it is disruptive to the education of Korean students if their educators, including ETAs, do not complete their contracted periods. 

Grant renewals for up to two additional years are available and are awarded based upon satisfactory cultural adjustment, teaching performance, and school availability.

In-Country Orientation

ETA grantees begin their grants with a six-week orientation training period that includes intensive Korean language instruction, teaching and cultural workshops, and various activities and opportunities to bond with their fellow ETAs before going to their placement schools. ETAs also participate in two annual conferences to continue their professional development and bring new skills and insights back to their host schools. 

Candidate Profile

Candidates should be well-rounded graduating seniors or recent graduates under 30 years of age at the time of application. Candidates must have received an acceptable degree before the start of the grant year. Candidates who will be in the middle of a degree program while on the ETA grant will not be considered. 

Candidates must be fluent English speakers and demonstrate the necessary initiative to teach conversational English to Korean students. Moreover, candidates must show evidence of the ability to adapt and thrive in a variety of intensive cultural environments and situations, such as those that may be encountered when living in a Korean homestay or a Korean “one-room” apartment alone in the local community, or when working within the Korean educational system.

Individuals with previous teaching experience (particularly those with a background in education) are encouraged to apply.  Although teaching experience is preferred, it is not required. Those without teaching experience should demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to interact well with children and youth. They should also explain how their experience as an ETA applies to their future goals.

Upon receipt of the Fulbright award, ETAs without previous certification will be expected to complete a 120-hour TESOL/TEFL course designated by the Korean Fulbright Commission (KAEC). TESOL/TEFL certification is required to be placed in a Korean school as an English educator. 

What is life like for Fulbrighters in the host country?

Since the publication of its first volume in 2008, Fulbright Korea Infusion has showcased the literary, artistic and academic talents of Fulbright Program participants in Korea. While the opinions expressed in Infusion are the contributors' own, and thus may not reflect official program policy or practice, Infusion also serves as Fulbright Korea's annual forum for grantee news, journalism, research, literature, artwork, poetry, photography, and video. The magazine aims to capture the diversity of the Fulbright Korea experience. To learn more about this experience, visit the Infusion website

Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
3 Months
Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
  • Candidates with dual U.S.-Republic of Korea nationality/citizenship will not be considered. (See section on Visa Requirements/Dual Nationality below.)
  • Candidates currently residing in Korea (or those who will be residing there during the 2024-2025 academic year) will not be considered. As a tourist visa in Korea is for 90 days, residency is considered to be a cumulative stay of 3 months or more. 
  • Candidates who have already received a PhD degree by the grant start date are not eligible for consideration. (They should instead apply for a Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award.)
Degree Level of Applicant
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
Special Application Instructions

Selected ETA candidates must complete all requirements for employment in schools in Korea at their own expense. Such requirements are in place to protect students, as a vulnerable population.

Requirements are subject to change based on national, regional, or local education policy. Requirements currently include:

  • A clean apostilled FBI criminal background check
  • Up-to-date vaccination documentation 
  • Negative drug test results
  • Negative tuberculin (TB) skin test results 

Please see the "Health Disclosure & Eligibility" section for more detail. 

Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

No Korean language skills are required. Since the six-week ETA orientation training period includes an approximately 100-hour intensive Korean language component, though, elementary self-study is expected prior to arrival. While ETAs teach classes in English, a commitment to Korean language learning before and during the grant greatly enhances an ETA’s quality of life in Korea and elevates their ability to interact with local community members.

Placement Type
  • Elementary School
  • Middle School
  • Secondary School
  • Vocational/Technical School
  • Other Educational/Community Institution

Students in Korea begin their formal English education during elementary school grades 3-6. Secondary schools in Korea include middle schools (grades 7-9) and high schools (grades 10-12), which may also include specialized schools for various vocations. A small number of ETAs may also be placed outside of schools in local academic or educational centers.

Fulbright grantees' preferences for school type, location, and other details will be considered. However, individuals should not apply for or accept this award unless they are committed to teaching in a placement that may differ from their preferences. All final decisions regarding ETA placements are made at the discretion of the Commission.

Placement Locations
  • Regional City
  • Rural

There are nine provinces in South Korea, and ETAs are placed in every province, including Jeju Island. Each province has its own unique characteristics, food, history, and regional language. The placement of ETAs in every province allows ETA grantees the opportunity to see parts of Korea they would never have otherwise.

While the nature of placements varies greatly, ETAs are primarily placed in rural schools or in schools in smaller regional cities as part of the Fulbright Korea program's mission to support underserved student populations. Accordingly, applicants should not expect to be placed in or around major metropolitan areas; first-year ETA grantees will not be placed in Seoul and/or North Korean Defector (NKD) schools. Applicants should be open to teaching at any placement. 

Supplementary Project
Not Permitted

Most of an ETA's time is dedicated to teaching. As such, no supplementary project is permitted. Candidates largely interested in studying or conducting research in Korea should apply for the awards Fulbright Korea offers for those activities instead. 

An ETA applicant's Statement of Grant Purpose should focus on why the applicant wishes to teach English in Korea; how being an ETA is relevant to what they have done so far; what they would like to do in the future; and how the applicant will make their grant a memorable cultural experience. Applicants should understand that they will have little time for intensive internships or volunteer opportunities during the school year; in most cases, any long-standing interests in avenues not related to teaching will need to be undertaken during the summer break or after the grant year has ended.

Award Benefits
  • A stipend broadly based on the cost of living in the host country. These funds may be used by the grantee to support housing, meals, and incidental costs during the grant period.
  • International travel benefits
  • Accident & sickness health benefits
  • 24/7 mental health support line for urgent and non-urgent situations
  • 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government
  • English language teaching preparatory course
Stipend Amount

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

Between 2,100,000 and 2,300,000 monthly stipend amount in
₩ [South Korean Won]

The monthly stipend is provided by the host school during the period of the teaching assignment only. During the orientation training period, ETA grantees will receive room and board as well as a small walk-around allowance. 

During the teaching assignment period, the monthly stipend is provided in addition to housing arranged and paid for by the host school (see "Housing Arrangements"). 

One-Time Allowances

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

₩ [South Korean Won]
  • Excess baggage fees
  • Settling in allowance

Small one-time payments are provided to offset costs associated with travel and settling in. 

ETAs placed at more than one school will also receive a small monthly travel allowance to assist with local transportation costs. 

Additional Grant Benefits
  • Host family placement
  • Housing placement
  • Mid-year seminar

All housing arrangements are made by the affiliated host school with parameters set by the Korean-American Educational Commission (KAEC). Please see the "Housing Arrangements" section. 

In addition to the initial six-week orientation training period, ETAs also participate in two annual conferences to continue their professional development and bring new skills and insights back to their host schools. 

Estimated Cost of Living

Consider using cost of living comparison websites to gain a better understanding of the potential costs in your host country.

Currency & Banking: The official currency of South Korea is the Korean Won (KRW). Per the Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rate from the IRS for 2022, USD 1 = KRW 1291.729. Cash is still widely used throughout the country, but credit and debit cards are also common payment methods available in most locations. Most foreigners opening bank accounts in Korea receive a debit card as it is difficult to gain access to credit in Korea without a domestic financial history. Checks are not typically used as those with local bank accounts can easily transfer money electronically via either ATMs or online/mobile banking established after obtaining a Korean Residence Card. Most banks require a Residence Card to open an account.  

Wages: The average cost of living in South Korea, even within the capital of Seoul, is lower than in comparable areas of the United States. Accordingly, salaries are also, on average, lower than in the U.S. In 2023, the hourly minimum wage was KRW 9,620 (US $7.45), for a monthly minimum wage (at ~209 hours) of KRW 2,010,580 (US $1,560). (Source: ROK Minimum Wage Commission) Per 2021 survey data collected by The Seoul Institute, among single-person households in Seoul, approximately 65.8% earned 2-3 million KRW or less per month. (Source: Seoul at a Glance 2022) 

Transportation: Public transportation is inexpensive, timely, and clean. Subway systems are available in the major metropolitan areas of Seoul, Daejeon, Daegu, Gwangju, and Busan. As of December 2023, the Seoul subway fare for a single trip of less than 10 km (6.2 miles) was KRW 1,400 (US $1.08). Bus fares are generally between KRW 1,200–3,000 (US $1–2.30) depending on the type of bus and distance travelled. During the daytime, the base fare for a regular taxi is about KRW 3,800 (US $3) for the first 2 km (1.2 miles). A rechargeable transportation card (T-money or CashBee) can be purchased at convenience stores for use on public transportation within Korea, as well as for taxi rides. Intercity regular and express buses are available relatively inexpensively, and trains also crisscross much of the country. A one-way economy class ticket for an express bus from Seoul in the northwest of the peninsula to Busan in the southeast costs around KRW 27,000 (US $21) whereas an economy class ticket for a fast train (KTX) costs around KRW 60,000 (US $46.50). 

Food: Food prices are lower in Korea than in the United States. Local dishes such as bibimbap, tofu stew, dumplings, etc. can be purchased for around KRW 8,000-10,000 (US $6.20-7.75). A latte is around KRW 4,500 (US $3.50). A large Big Mac set (burger, fries, soda) from McDonalds is around KRW 8,000 (US $7). Vegetarian and vegan food is becoming more popular but is most readily available around metropolitan areas. Fresh produce is available inexpensively at traditional markets located throughout the country. Korea also has an excellent food delivery culture for both prepared meals and groceries. Tipping is not part of the culture in Korea, so food prices are as listed; no additional tip is expected. While the cost of international foods varies, prices are generally reasonable, and items that cannot be found locally may be available for shipment via Korea’s excellent and affordable postal system.

Dependent financial support is NOT available

ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Housing Arrangements

Fulbright Korea offers two unique housing accommodations for its ETAs grantees. All housing arrangements are made by the affiliated host school with parameters set by the Korean-American Educational Commission (KAEC). The two housing accommodations are shared living facilities in the form of homestays and private living facilities in the form of studio apartments.

Most ETAs live in small studio apartments, referred to as “one-rooms” (원룸). However, some first-year ETAs live in homestays. Regardless of their housing accommodation type, former ETAs report that the unique situation of living in Korea, combined with an intrinsic motivation to explore the community around them, leads to unforgettable experiences.

Applicants must be open to being placed in either housing situation. Individuals should not apply for or accept this award if they are not prepared for both the challenges that arise from an immersive experience in a Korean homestay and those that arise from living in a foreign country alone.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Visa Requirements/Dual Nationality

Note: The Korean Government utilizes the words “national/nationality” as opposed to “citizen/citizenship” in most official documentation in English. These words can be viewed as interchangeable for the purposes of this advisory.

All Fulbright U.S. Student awardees to Korea MUST obtain an A-3 visa and enter the country on a U.S. passport.

Candidates who are nationals of Korea will NOT be permitted to undertake Fulbright awards to Korea.

Individuals of Korean heritage may have dual U.S.-ROK nationality unbeknownst to them or their family.

In April 2010, the Republic of Korea passed legislation that allows dual nationality, with differing rules for men and women. If one of an applicant’s parents is or was a Korean national, the applicant may automatically inherit Korean nationality via Korea’s “jus sanguinis” laws. In order to confirm their Korean nationality status, applicants of Korean heritage MUST contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Korean Consulate PRIOR TO submitting a Fulbright application.

Applicants in the following circumstances are considered by the Republic of Korea to be Korean nationals:

  • An individual whose father was still a Korean national at the time of the individual’s birth (if born before or on June 13, 1998)
  • An individual whose father or mother was still a Korean national at the time of the individual’s birth (if born on or after June 14, 1998)
  • An individual whose father was a Korean national and was deceased at the time of the individual’s birth

Applicants who fall under any of the categories listed above must contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Korean Consulate immediately to learn more about these regulations and the suggested procedures for filing for renunciation/loss of Korean nationality.

Applicants who were born in Korea and received American citizenship through naturalization should have lost their Korean nationality automatically at the time of their naturalization. However, official renunciation documentation (국적상실신고) must still be submitted to the Korean Government in order to formalize a citizenship status change. Per the Korean Consulate in Houston, “Failure to formally renounce one’s citizenship after being naturalized in another country may cause issues when applying for visas, marriage or birth registry, and legal matters.” As such, those from Korea naturalized as American citizens must contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate to ensure that their loss of Korean nationality has been formally recognized.

Applicants who were born in Korea and received American citizenship through adoption should have lost their Korean nationality automatically six months after American citizenship was granted. However, it has come to Fulbright Korea's attention that Korean nationality renunciation has not always been finalized for adoptees. As such, those adopted from Korea also must contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate prior to submitting a Fulbright application to confirm their Korean nationality status.

It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to determine whether they have dual nationality and how it impacts their eligibility for a Fulbright award.

In order to avoid withdrawal of a Fulbright award, Fulbright Korea requires all American applicants of Korean heritage to provide written proof that they do not have Korean nationality before they accept their Fulbright award. From the time a candidate is offered an award, they have approximately two weeks to return a decision and submit written verification that they do not have Korean nationality/citizenship. Failure to provide written verification before the award acceptance deadline is grounds for award withdrawal. Additionally, at the time of or after award acceptance, if any individual is found 1) to have failed to disclose they are of Korean heritage or 2) to have dual nationality with Korea, their award offer will be withdrawn.

To obtain written verification of NOT having Korean nationality/citizenship, those of Korean heritage must contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate, or the ROK Ministry of Justice.

Written verification may take the form of:

  • Family records such as a “basic certificate” (기본증명서), “family relations/register certificate” (가족관계증명서), etc.
  • Loss or renunciation of Korean nationality records such as a “loss of nationality notice” (국적상실 허가 통지서), “renunciation of nationality notice” (국적이탈 허가 통지서), etc.

In all instances, documentation must clearly indicate that the applicant does not have Korean nationality in order for it to be accepted as written proof.

As an individual’s Korean nationality status is contingent upon specific personal and family history, all applicants of Korean heritage should contact the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate as early as possible once they have established their interest in the Fulbright Program in Korea in order to confirm their Korean nationality status and acquire appropriate documentation.

More information about Korean nationality law can be found at:

General questions regarding this requirement may be addressed to the Korean-American Educational Commission (Fulbright Korea) via email. Fulbright Korea is not a U.S. or R.O.K. government or immigration agency and thus cannot answer specific inquiries.

Health Disclosure & Eligibility

In compliance with the Korean Ministry of Education regulations regarding health and assignment in the school system, candidates must include any medical disclosures for the applicable medical conditions listed below in the medical examination forms provided by IIE and KAEC after being selected as Fulbright finalists. Strict adherence to these regulations is mandatory, and your grant is contingent on the ability to secure a school placement in South Korea. Any attempts to omit or falsify information are immediate grounds for grant withdrawal, suspension, termination, or revocation. 

Individuals with the following conditions cannot be placed in Korean classrooms:

  • Visual impairments (conditions that cannot be corrected by glasses/contact lenses)
  • Hearing impairments above 40dB

In addition, selectees must also disclose the following conditions in their medical forms: 

  1. Conditions worsened by stress such as: epilepsy, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.
  2. Severe food allergies including, but not limited to: nuts, shellfish, and beans

All teachers in Korea must undergo routine drug testing and medical health checks before and during employment. As such, ETAs must also pay for and receive a clean drug test and undergo a health check before they are allowed to come to Korea. They must submit all examination results, including tuberculosis testing results, with the Fulbright medical form. This medical documentation and all previously mentioned documentation are REQUIRED for all candidates who are awarded grants and must be covered at the grantee's expense.

A few grantees may be required by their local Board of Education or school to undergo a second health check in Korea to ensure that the ETA’s health is up to the local health employment standards. Regardless, all applicants who accept an ETA grant must undergo a health exam and drug test in the USA before departing for Korea.

ETAs may be required to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, or other vaccinations, as they are working directly with minors, a vulnerable population. Vaccination requirements are subject to change according to the requirements of the local governmental and educational offices.

Additional Note on Prescription Medication: Applicants with ongoing medical or health issues that need specific prescription medication should keep in mind that while Korea is an advanced country with world-renowned medical facilities, ETAs may be placed in rural settings where access to large medical centers or specific medications is not as prevalent. They should also note that in the case of chronic health conditions, they may need to visit the doctor's office independently. 

Certain prescription drugs are considered controlled substances and are subject to the regulations established by the Korean Food and Drug Administration and the Korean Customs Service. While most medication in the USA can be found in Korea, some medication that is available in the USA is not approved in Korea. Applicants who anticipate needing to manage a condition with certain medications should consult their doctor and make informed decisions before applying for or accepting a grant.

Applicants who need prescription medication should also consult the US Embassy in Seoul’s American Citizen’s Services webpage regarding medical assistance AND the Republic of Korea’s Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (KFDA).

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Fulbright Korea ETA Program:
Additional Online Resources
ROK Embassies and Consulates in the USA::
U.S. Embassy and Consulate in South Korea:
U.S. State Department Country Travel Information :