Instructions for Fulbright Foreign Language Evaluators
The Fulbright Application Deadline is Tuesday October 12, 2021 at 5 pm Eastern Time and all Foreign Language Evaluations MUST be submitted through the Fulbright Online System by this time and date. No exceptions.
An applicant for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program has requested that you complete the Foreign Language Evaluation (FLE) form to evaluate their language ability in a language other than English. If the applicant is a current or former student, you may complete this form based on the applicant’s record and performance in your language course(s), and/or, you may interview the applicant to determine their current proficiency in the language. If the applicant is not a current or former student, we advise you interview the applicant to determine their current proficiency in the selected language.
We ask that you comment on the applicant's present language competence in the specified language (not English) relative to their proposed project of study or research for the grant. The applicant should provide you with a summary of their Statement of Grant Purpose. In an interview, you may ask them to describe the grant project or program in the language being assessed.
You may refer to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines for assessing language ability in determining the appropriate rating in each category.
Fulbright applicants register their language evaluator in the Fulbright Online Application System to give them the opportunity to complete the Foreign Language Evaluation form online so that it can be included with the applicant's online application. If you are not familiar with the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, you may wish to visit our website. The most useful pages for language evaluators are likely the ’Countries’ section where you may navigate to the applicant’s proposed host country and award for specific details.
The steps below allow you to submit online Foreign Language Evaluation (FLE) Form:
- Once the applicant has registered you, an email will be sent to you from the Fulbright Online Application System. If you do not receive this email, please ask the applicant to resend the invitation.
- Open the FLE form by clicking the link in the invitation email sent by the system via FBstudent@iie.org.
- At the top of the page, complete the information to verify your information and answer the questions. Download a sample Foreign Language Evaluation (PDF).
- Respond to the questions assessing the applicant's competency in each area.
- When you have answered all the questions, you may select ‘Save and Next’ to review your responses.
- Before you click ‘Submit’, be sure that this is the evaluation you wish to have reviewed by screening committees in the U.S. and abroad. After submitting the Foreign Language Evaluation, you will not have access to edit, or change it.
- The final step is to submit the evaluation.
- After submitting the form, you will receive a confirmation email confirming your submission.
Important Note: Only evaluations submitted via the Fulbright Online Application System will be accepted. If you encounter issues completing or submitting the Foreign Language Evaluation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Early Campus Deadlines: The applicant will provide you with the date the recommendation is due. For currently enrolled applicants or alumni applying through their alma mater, this date will be earlier than the Fulbright national application deadline. FLEs submitted after the campus deadline may not be considered during the campus review process, but should still be submitted prior to the national deadline.