US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


4 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
August Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

The Fulbright Commission encourages applications from early career professionals, recent graduates, and graduate students wishing to conduct research for nine months at a higher education institution, non-profit organization or research center in Peru. Applicants must affiliate with one of these institutions and present a well-developed research plan.

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
August Start

Grant Length: 9 months.

Candidates should plan to begin their grants in mid-August 2024, or mid-March 2025. Alternate start dates will not be considered, except in the most extraordinary circumstances.

In-Country Orientation

Mandatory. All grantees must attend a mandatory two-day orientation at the Fulbright Commission in Lima prior to the beginning of grant activities, either in mid-August 2024 or mid-March 2025.

Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should include in the Language Self-Evaluation plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college-level Spanish language instructor is required.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

All grantees must be affiliated with a Peruvian organization. Possible affiliations include Peruvian universities, government agencies or private organizations with public interest focus, including NGOs. Applicants should initiate affiliation arrangements prior to submitting their applications. 

Affiliations must be finalized before travel to Peru in order to obtain the appropriate visas, but this can be done between the issuance of a grant and travel to the country. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits
Housing Arrangements

The Fulbright Commission does not assist in locating or helping secure housing for U.S. Fulbright grantees, but is happy to answer any specific questions about potential housing.  Your host insitution should be your primary source of assistance in your housing search.

Dependent financial support is available
Grant Purpose Considerations

Grantees may carry out research, take university courses, or carry out practical training through internships.

The Commission welcomes applications from all disciplines.

Border disputes and crime (including narcotics production and trafficking, illegal logging, and illegal mining) are considered sensitive issues.  Applicants proposing projects on these topics must demonstrate a clear understanding of and experience with research in these areas.

The Fulbright Commission in Peru does not approve grants to work in zones declared “emergency zones” by the Peruvian government or those declared as high risk by the State Deparment such as the Valley of the Apurímac, Ene, and Mantaro Rivers (VRAEM).

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Diana Costa: