2 Open Study/Research Award
Accepted Degree Levels
Grant PeriodFlexible Start
Grant Length10 Months
The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo is especially interested in proposals that support the mission's Integrated Country Strategy goals: https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/ICS_WHA_Dominican-Republic_Public.pdf
Grant Length: 10 months.
The academic calendar begins in late August and goes to May with a break between December and January. The summer session runs from June to early August. Most grantees choose to begin in the fall, but the start date is flexible. Grants may begin as early as August 2024. The last possible start date is March 31, 2025.
As a condition of the grant, all grantees to the Dominican Republic are required to participate in the Pre-Departure Orientation that takes place typically in mid summer. The PDO is organized by IIE in collaboration with ECA , and is held in the U.S. (virtually or in-person).
- Must have strong intercultural and leadership skills.
- Well-defined research project with support from ideal host institutions and a solid foundation in their subject areas.
- Topics connected to Mission ICS goals are preferred though we also strongly prefer topics related to climate change mitigation, socio-economic exclusion, education, STEM, public policy, transparency and gender violence prevention.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated high levels of adaptability and maturity.
- Ability to serve as a cultural ambassador.
Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant with the Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is required.
Fulbright Proposal Types
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline
Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliation(s) with an academic institution, research facility, or another appropriate organization, and for submitting supporting documentation verifying this affiliation at time of application. The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo will assist grantees with finalizing affiliation arrangements, if necessary.
The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo recommends that grantees search for apartments using temporary housing reservation systems as these options allow for a shorter housing rental than typical leasing agreements of one year. Fulbright alumni are a great resource for finding housing.
Field of Study Restrictions
Students in Anthropology or Archaeology may need to arrange special research permits with their affiliations.