US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Flexible Start
Grant Length
6-9 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program in Zimbabwe aims to promote collaboration and robust research while strengthening educational and cultural relationships between the United States and Zimbabwe.  The program provides the opportunity for academically mature students to complete independent research projects in Zimbabwe through (up to) 9 months of grant support.

The program requires affiliation with a higher education or research institution in Zimbabwe, as well as a well-thought out research plan in line with U.S. Embassy priority areas, which include: STEM Innovation; Agricultural Innovation; Communications, Marketing and Journalism; Law and Human Rights; Creative Industry Development; Natural Resource Management; Environmental Policy and Climate Change; Public Health; and Higher Education Administration.

During their time in Zimbabwe, Fulbright U.S. students are expected to interact with their Zimbabwean counterparts, share best practices, and help forge and grow Zimbabwe’s nascent graduate research culture.  Grantees must report their project progress to the U.S. Embassy on a quarterly basis, and should consider themselves part of the ongoing U.S. Embassy program.

Grant Length
6-9 Months
Grant Period
Flexible Start

Zimbabwean universities all run on the American semester system - August/September being the start of the new academic calendar.  Fulbright grants will begin between October 2024 and March 2025, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Zimbabwe.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2024.

Candidate Profile

Preference will be given to Ph.D. candidates conducting doctoral research who can work independently.

Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Residency in host country permitted in year prior to grant
Accepted Degree Levels
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Although English is the official language, Shona, Ndebele or other local languages may be needed for research conducted in rural areas.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Foreign researchers in Zimbabwe must conduct their research through an affiliation with a host university or research institution.  Candidates must therefore affiliate with local universities and research institutions and include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.  The U.S. Embassy may advise candidates on institutions that match their research interests. 

Some prospective host institutions include:

Harare Institute of Technology

University of Zimbabwe

Women's University in Africa

Africa University 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits

Most academic institutions may charge host affiliation fees.  Grantees planning to take courses should therefore ask their host institutions about fees and similar requirements before making any financial commitments.

Housing Arrangements

The U.S. Embassy recommends off-campus housing and will support the search process.


Dependent financial support is available
Research Clearance

Applicants must familiarize themselves with the Research Council of Zimbabwe (RCZ) requirements for foreign scholars as all researchers must obtain RCZ approval prior to conducting their research.

Successful applicants must apply for research clearance with the Research Council of Zimbabwe before applying for the Temporary Employment Permit (TEP) with the Immigration Department.  Once the clearance has been granted, applicants should include the clearance certificate in the TEP application (US$500 each). Applicants should submit their applications for both clearances through the host institution at least three months before their intended arrival.  After completing their research, grantees must file their research findings with the RCZ.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Tafadzwa Muzhandu: