US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


English Teaching Assistant Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
Grant Period
January Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
English Teaching Assistant
Award Profile

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program in Zambia aims to strengthen educational and cultural relationships between the United States and Zambia. 

Located in Southern Africa, Zambia has a population of close to 18 million people consisting of about 73 ethnic groups, with seven major languages described as national languages. Although Zambia uses English as the official language and as the language of instruction in schools, many students are bilingual or multilingual depending on their upbringing. It is not uncommon to find students in high schools or at colleges struggle with English language comprehension.

Our ETA program will assist EducationUSA students, high schools, and those at teacher training institutions to acquire a solid grasp of the English language so that they can excel in their academic and professional endeavors.

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
January Start

Zambia’s academic year for higher learning institutions can vary by institution. The ETAs should plan to arrive in early January for host institutions with a January start.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2025.

A mandatory in-country group orientation will be provided by the U.S. Embassy in Lusaka.

Candidate Profile

Master's-level candidates are preferred. However, graduating seniors or graduate students considering careers in education, who have a degree in English, education, or TEFL/applied linguistics and have experience teaching or tutoring will be considered. Other fields will be considered if combined with experience in working with first-generation college students, teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy. Candidates with the ability to incorporate or organize extra-curricular activities – English Clubs, Reading and Writing Clubs - are preferred. Candidates with an interest in African languages, culture, and history are also encouraged to apply. 

What is life like for Fulbrighters in the host country?

Zambia is a landlocked country in southern Africa with a tropical climate. Its terrain consists mostly of high plateaus with some hills and mountains, dissected by river valleys. The official language of Zambia is English, which is used to conduct official business and is the medium of instruction in schools. Zambia is generally a peaceful country, although pockets of violence may occur during the time leading to general elections. Politics in Zambia take place in a framework of a presidential representative democratic republic, whereby the President of Zambia is both head of state and head of government in a pluriform multi-party system. The government exercises executive power, while legislative power is vested in both the government and parliament.

Residency in host country permitted in year prior to grant
Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Degree Level of Applicant
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required
Placement Type
  • Secondary School
  • Teacher Training
  • University/Post-Secondary Institution
  • Other Educational/Community Institution

Placements will be made at teacher training colleges, community/educational organizations promoting education and English literacy, and higher learning institutions as appropriate. ETAs will also be involved in programming for American Spaces and assisting EducationUSA cohorts with essays and SAT preparations. The Embassy may also possibly engage secondary schools that require English teaching support but will not expect ETAs to take over courses due to staff shortages at a school.

ETAs spend approximately 20 hours per week assisting and supporting vocational instructors and teachers in training and working on additional projects. ETA roles may include giving presentations on topics related to the United States, preparing classroom activities, modeling interactive activities with partner teachers, and/or encouraging students to communicate in English. ETAs may assist in a variety of academic formats such as one-on-one tutoring or co-teaching large groups. ETAs are also encouraged to create their own projects with institutions or communities. The projects can include: literacy celebration weeks, youth groups, women's groups, journalism clubs, book clubs, cultural days, debate clubs, etc.

Placement Locations
  • Capital City
  • Regional City

ETAs will be placed in the capital or regional city - although any increase in ETA numbers could lead to additional placements in rural areas.

Supplementary Project

Supplementary projects for ETAs when not engaged in ETA-related duties are recommended but not required.

Award Benefits
  • A stipend broadly based on the cost of living in the host country. These funds may be used by the grantee to support housing, meals, and incidental costs during the grant period.
  • International travel benefits
  • Accident & sickness health benefits
  • 24/7 mental health support line for urgent and non-urgent situations
  • 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government
  • English language teaching preparatory course
Stipend Amount

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

3,110 monthly stipend amount in
$ [US Dollar]
One-Time Allowances

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

2,950 in
$ [US Dollar]
  • Excess baggage fees
  • Registration/Permitting fees
  • Research/Materials allowance
  • Settling in allowance
Estimated Cost of Living

Consider using cost of living comparison websites to gain a better understanding of the potential costs in your host country.

The websites linked here and here have useful, up-to-date cost of living information.

Dependent financial support is available
Housing Arrangements

ETAs must secure their own housing. They are encouraged to find temporary housing before arrival in Zambia, and to search for long-term housing thereafter.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Sandra Banda: