Open Study/Research Award
Accepted Degree Levels
Grant PeriodFlexible Start
Grant Length6-9 Months
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program in Nigeria aims to strengthen educational and cultural relationships between the United States and Nigeria.
Fulbright grants begin between August 2023 and March 2024, subject to approval by the U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.
As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2023.
Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Additional Information: Although English is the official language, knowledge of a local language or pidgin English may be needed for certain projects.
Fulbright Proposal Types
Letter recommended but not required at deadline
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria has an Embassy in Abuja and a Consulate General in Lagos. Responsibility for support to Fulbrighters is divided between the two offices geographically. For the Lagos office, possible host institutions include:
· University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State
· Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State
· Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos State
· University of Nigeria, Nsukka (and Enugu campus), Enugu State
· Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State
· Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State
· Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State
· University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State
· University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State
· University of Lagos, Lagos, Lagos State
· Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State
· Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State
While Delta State University in Abraka and the University of Port Harcourt are Fulbright partner institutions, affiliations with these two schools are not possible at this time due to ongoing security and logistical concerns.
For the Abuja office, possible host institutions include:
· University of Abuja, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory
· Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State
· Bayero University, Kano, Kano State
· Benue State University, Makurdi, Benue State
· University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State
· University of Jos, Jos, Plateau State
· Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto, Sokoto State
· Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State
· Baze University, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory
· Kaduna State University
· Veritas University, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory
· Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory
As a result of the current insecurity in the North East region of Nigeria, affiliations are not possible with the American University of Nigeria in Yola and University of Maiduguri in Borno State.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate host institution. It is strongly recommended that candidates identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.
Field of Study Restrictions
Projects involving the laboratory sciences are discouraged because most Nigerian universities have inadequate laboratory equipment for students, and conducting science experiments is often difficult as a result.
Candidates with projects in the Niger Delta and certain parts of Northern Nigeria will not be considered due to acute logistical and security concerns.