US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


5 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
July Start
Grant Length
10 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

The Fulbright U.S. Student Research grants offer an opportunity to conduct individually-designed research projects in Nepal.

Grant Length
10 Months
Grant Period
July Start

Mid-July through mid-May. 

In-Country Orientation

Grantees must make their travel plans through the Fulbright Commission and should arrive in time to attend the mandatory mid-July orientation meetings in Kathmandu.

Candidate Profile

All disciplines will be considered. Applicants must have a well-defined research project, a solid foundation in their proposed subject area(s), a demonstrated ability to work independently, and high levels of adaptability and maturity. Since university library holdings in Nepal are limited and local faculty supervision is generally not available, grantees usually work without close supervision.

What is life like for Fulbrighters in the host country?

Being a Fulbright grantee in Nepal is a blend of academic exploration and cultural immersion. The diverse landscapes, from the chaotic streets of Kathmandu to rugged and remote mountain regions, form a backdrop for both professional and personal growth. A fundamental part of the experience is engagement with local communities and collaboration with Nepali counterparts, sharing knowledge and perspectives. Grantees must be willing to face challenges such as adjusting to different cultural and professional norms, coping with weak infrastructure, and dealing with urban pollution and other health hazards.

Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
Degree Level of Applicant
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

Applicants proposing research involving human beings or animals as research subjects should have their projects vetted by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at their home institutions. While IRB approval is not required at the time of application, individuals selected for grants must abide by all ethical requirements before commencing their research on human and/or animal subjects through a Fulbright award.

For students undertaking health-related research, projects must be approved by the Nepal Health Research Council, which acts as the only Institutional Review Board in Nepal. Health-related research projects cannot involve patient contact.

Grantees undertaking health-related research should start the approval process prior to arriving in Nepal and also be prepared to devote time to that process at the beginning of their grant period.

For students who are unaffiliated with a graduate program at the time of application, it is important to address in the application measures expected to be taken to ensure the protection of human subjects, if the research project involves human subjects.

Students must be aware that permits for conducting research in Nepal government-designated restricted areas are costly and not covered by the Commission. They should come prepared to bear this cost.

Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

Additional Information:

Proficiency in Nepali or another local language (e.g., Bhojpuri, Maithili, Newari, Tibetan) commensurate with the nature of the proposed project is recommended. Applicants without Nepali or relevant local language skills should include significant plans for language study in their proposals. Regardless of language ability, grantees may undertake language study while in country. An allowance for continued language learning is included in the grant. 

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Applicants are required to identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and to include Affiliation Letters with their Fulbright applications. 

Affiliations may be with local or international non-governmental organizations, university departments, or other institutions. No more than two affiliations are allowed.

Fulbright grantees do not enroll in university courses, but may find it productive to work with local faculty or graduate students when appropriate. The Fulbright grant is not meant to support internships at organizations in Nepal. Rather, it is meant to support independent research.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits
Award Benefits
  • A stipend broadly based on the cost of living in the host country. These funds may be used by the grantee to support housing, meals, and incidental costs during the grant period.
  • International travel benefits
  • Accident & sickness health benefits
  • 24/7 mental health support line for urgent and non-urgent situations
  • 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government
Stipend Amount

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

$1400 monthly stipend amount in
$ [US Dollar]

$1,400 per month

Grantees are responsible for arranging their own housing.

One-Time Allowances

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

$ [US Dollar]
  • Excess baggage fees
  • Language training allowance
  • Research/Materials allowance
  • Settling in allowance

Excess baggage: $400

Language allowance: $500

Settling in allowance: $400

Incidental allowance: $1,200

Additional Grant Benefits
  • Mid-year seminar

Enrichment Seminar

An enrichment seminar is planned during the Fall to bring all Fulbright grantees in country together to share their research plans and discuss matters of national and global significance. 

Grantees foster meaningful connections with fellow Fulbrighters throughout the duration of their award by engaging in networking opportunities, participating in insightful talks, joining interesting forums, and fostering shared camaraderie.

South and Central Asia Fulbright Conference

With funding provided by the United States Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the U.S.-India Educational Foundation (the Fulbright Commission in India) invites eligible Fulbright grantees in the South and Central Asia region to attend the annual South and Central Asia Fulbright Conference in India (usually held in February or March). The conference is an opportunity for Fulbright U.S. Scholars and U.S. Student Researchers who are on their Fulbright grants in the SCA region at the time of the conference to gather to discuss each other’s work, network, and share their experiences as international exchange participants. 

Financial assistance to attend the conference is provided as an additional Fulbright grant benefit.

Estimated Cost of Living

Consider using cost of living comparison websites to gain a better understanding of the potential costs in your host country.

Housing costs vary depending on location, size, and quality, starting from $250 per month for a room with kitchen and more for apartments or houses with amenities. For day-to-day expenses, $20-35 suffices if cooking at home. Dining out may cost $15-25 per meal at a good restaurant. Travel has been made easier due to the advent of ride apps such as Pathao, Tootle, and InDriver. Public transport is cheaper, but congested. Researchers are advised to live near their research site or host institution to reduce commuting.

Dependent financial support is NOT available
Housing Arrangements

Grantees are required to secure their own accommodations.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Security Concerns

The Fulbright Commission in Nepal will carefully review all Fulbright proposals for feasibility and security concerns. Applicants must be flexible in response to changing conditions and grantees must comply with all security procedures set in place by the Commission in consultation with the U.S. Embassy in Nepal.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact