US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


11 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
September Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

Fulbright Spain's Open Study/Research awards are available to applicants from all academic disciplines. The aim of these awards is to strengthen cultural, educational, and scientific exchange between the United States and Spain and to provide grantees with opportunities for research collaboration that extend into the future. Core funding for this program is provided by the U.S. Government and the Spanish Ministries of Foreign Affairs and of Education.

Fulbright Spain intends to host a Research Seminar for all its open/study research student grantees and Scholars each year given the success of this seminar in its previous three editions.

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
September Start

Grants will begin on September 15, 2024.

Initiating the award at a later date in 2024-2025 will be considered only in exceptional circumstances.


In-Country Orientation

All Fulbright Spain student grantees are required to attend a mandatory orientation which will take place during the first half of September 2024.

Candidate Profile

This award is open to graduating seniors, although those with previous research experience and advanced graduate students/doctoral candidates will be given priority. Applicants must be mature and self-motivated individuals who are capable of working independently with little supervision. Awards are mainly offered for independent graduate research in areas of mutual U.S./Spanish interest. Projects dealing with contemporary issues are especially encouraged.

Engaging in university coursework may be considered, but not as the sole purpose of the project; university fees are not covered by the grant benefits. Please note that course listings may not be confirmed until after universities begin in Fall 2024 and enrollment of foreign students is not guaranteed.

Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
3 Months

Candidates may not reside in Spain at the time of application or during the academic year prior to the grant. Study abroad in Spain as part of undergraduate studies is not considered residency in Spain. However, other full-time studies at an institution based in Spain or participation in an auxiliar de conversación program are considered residency in Spain.

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

Applicants must submit a translated version of the Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement in Spanish, in addition to an English version. The translated documents must adhere to the same page limit guidelines as the English versions. These do not need to be word for word translations, but should convey the same ideas. Each document should be uploaded in the designated field in the Fulbright online application. The translated document should be uploaded as a PDF.

Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Intermediate

Additional information: An advanced level of Spanish is recommended. Please make sure to include the Language Self-Evaluation and Foreign Language Evaluation in your Fulbright Online Application.

Applicants to regions with a co-official language: Proficiency in the co-official language is not required for this grant, unless required for the proposed project, but is recommended to facilitate greater integration into the local community. Applicants should note their level of proficiency in the co-official language and/or how they intend to develop their basic proficiency in the Language Self-Evaluation.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Research centers and universities in Spain can be found at the following links:

Keep in mind that these lists are not exhaustive, and both public and private Spanish universities also offer ample research opportunities.

Applicants must arrange affiliation in Spain and submit a letter or letters of invitation indicating the name and position of the research adviser(s) with whom the applicant will collaborate as well as the availability of research resources. The letter is required to be signed by the research adviser and have the approval of the head of the corresponding department.

The U.S.-Spain Fulbright Commission provides extensive support to selected candidates regarding administrative issues, such as the visa and documentation processes, and ample pre-departure and arrival information. However, assistance in establishing contacts at prospective host institutions cannot be provided.

For applicants in the Creative and Performing Arts, letters of affiliation must be from an academic adviser affiliated with a host institution. Eligible host institutions for these applicants may include certified art and performance schools or non-profits/cultural foundations, such as museums. Affiliations with private teachers will not be eligible.  

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits

University fees are not covered by the grant benefits.

Housing Arrangements

All Fulbright Spain grantees are required to arrange their own housing. The Commission provides ample resources to aid in the housing search in Spain, including two webinars prior to departure.

Dependent financial support is available

Only a one time allowance of 400€ will be provided, regardless of the number of dependents accompanying the grantee.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Academic Advising Office:
Additional Online Resources