Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


5 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
October Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

Proposals are welcome from well-qualified candidates at all degree levels with established relations with the host institution. The Commission expects proposals in all disciplines - arts, humanities, and social sciences, as well as in the fields of science and technology.

Grantees will conduct independent research projects at Romanian universities and research centers.

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
October Start

The grant length is 9 months, October through June, coinciding with the academic year in Romania.


In-Country Orientation

Grantees will be required to attend a multi-day in-country orientation late September/beginning of October.

Candidate Profile

Well-qualified candidates will be considered at all degree levels (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral), but preference is given to Master’s and Ph.D. candidates who plan to carry out individual research and study projects.

Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: Romanian language ability should be commensurate with the requirements of the proposed project and affiliation. English is widely spoken at least in the academic environment throughout Romania.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter recommended but not required at deadline

Applicants are encouraged to arrange affiliation and submit letters of invitation with their application. If an invitation is not available, applicants may indicate preferences for affiliation. Grantees may not attend regularly scheduled university classes.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits
Dependent financial support is available

Within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, a dependent is (1) a spouse, or (2) a relative (child, parent, or sibling) who is financially dependent on the grantee. The dependent must accompany the grantee abroad for at least 80% of the grant period in order to receive the dependent benefit. The balance of maintenance expenses for dependents is the responsibility of the grantee. No allowance is provided for any adult dependent who holds a grant from any source. Transportation and insurance are not provided for dependents.

Grant Benefits

The standard grant benefits include:

  • Basic monthly stipend – $1,000 per month
  • Additional monthly stipend: $1,150 for maintenance and housing.*
  • Travel and relocation allowance – $3,500
  • Research and book allowance – $500
  • Dependent Supplements 
    • Additional monthly stipend of the grantee is increased to $1,375 for one or more accompanying dependents*
    • Dependent subsistence allowance: $100 per month for one dependent / $200 per month for two or more dependents who accompany the grantee for at least 80 percent of the grant period (amount included in the basic monthly stipend)

*The Additional stipend is disbursed in RON as specified in the Terms and Conditions of the Award. The USD amounts are subject to slight changes due to currency fluctuations. 

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Additional Online Resources