Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


1 Fulbright/NAF Fellowship in Flood Management

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Fall Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
Special Study/Research
Specialized Grant Types
  • Science/Public Health
  • Environmental
Award Profile

This Fellowship is limited to research related to flooding. Other water management areas, such as managing municipal water supplies, are not supported by this Fellowship.

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
Fall Start

Grant activities must begin by September 1, so that the grantee can attend the first orientation meeting which will be held at the eind of August or the beginning of September.


In-Country Orientation

The one-day Fulbright In-Country orientation will take place at the end of August/beginning of September (date to be determined). 

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels will be considered. Preference will be given to those with coursework in civil engineering. Applicants should have attained their undergraduate core technical skills already, but will want to complement these with a graduate multidisciplinary study of water management aspects, such as:

  1. Assessment of flooding risks (e.g. analysis of hydraulics of coastal and riverine flooding, analysis of flooding probabilities and consequences, determining acceptable flooding risks in relation to other natural disasters; distributing risks to minimize damage; effects of climate change; assessing economic, social, environmental, and/or cultural damages using studies conducted by insurance companies; insurability);
  2. Spatial planning in flood-prone areas (e.g., the use of simulation hydraulic modeling tools applied to complicated interdependent resource management choices);
  3. Mitigating flood impact and flood risk reduction (e.g. measures such as room for rivers, coastal interventions and flood defence schemes, influencing land development of flood-prone areas through legislation; developing of evacuation plans and disaster management).
Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
1 Month

Fulbright the Netherlands prefers to select applicants with no or limited experience in the Netherlands, especially in the year before the grant period. A brief holiday or a summer program in the year before the grant year would be acceptable. 

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

In your Fulbright online application, for Award Name please select NAF Flood Management from the drop down menu.

Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Additional Information: Dutch language proficiency is not required, but is useful at the time of arrival. Some study of Dutch prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. 

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

The TU Delft is a large technical university and the grantee must be prepared to be an independent researcher. There is no formal structure to support Fulbright grantees, so it is important for applicants to arrange beforehand where and with whom they intent to work with and include a letter of affiliation with the application.

The grantee should be placed with the TU Delft Deltas, Infrastructures and Mobility Initiative.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition covered in grant benefits

As a researcher at TU Delft, you will not have to pay tuition fees. Please view the grant amounts.

Housing Arrangements

Grantees are responsible for finding housing themselves. Delft University of Technology may be able to help with this, but housing is not guaranteed. 

Dependent financial support is NOT available

Dependent support is not available. If an applicant is planning on bringing dependents, please contact the host institution to inquire whether they are willing to also apply for a residence permit for the dependents. Without a residence permit applied for by the host, dependents will not be able to join the applicant. 

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Additional Online Resources