2024-2025 competition is closed. 2025-2026 competition will open in April 2024. 

US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through fulbrightscholars.org.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


70 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Fall Start
Grant Length
10 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

Fulbright Germany's study and research program facilitates research and studies for two academic semesters at a German university or relevant non-university institution, such as research labs or archives. The program aims to strengthen scientific, academic and cultural relations between Germany and the United States and to provide grantees with access to Germany’s excellent higher education system, outstanding infrastructure, and dynamic research ecosystem. During the grant period, grantees broaden their academic, scientific, or artistic skills as degree-seeking, non-degree students, or researchers.

Fulbright Germany strives to embed Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility (DEIA) in all aspects of its work. Applications are open to all individuals regardless of their race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, gender, or gender identity. Fulbright Germany seeks and encourages the involvement of people from traditionally underrepresented communities in its programs, activities and partnerships, and staffing and operations.

Please refer to the Fulbright Germany website for detailed information on the grant benefits.

To find out more, please visit:

https://www.study-in-germany.de/en/ or https://www.research-in-germany.org/en

Grant Length
10 Months
Grant Period
Fall Start

8 - 10 months for Bachelor's and Master's Degree Levels - Grants begin in mid-September, usually with an orientation meeting in Germany.

6 – 10 months for Doctoral Research candidates - Candidates applying for a grant of less than 8 months are asked to please include the grant length in their Project Title within the application, indicating the number of months in parentheses. For example, “Fulbright Research Proposal Title (6).”

Grants begin in mid-September 2024, usually with an orientation meeting in Germany. A later start may be considered if before April 2025.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation: Grantees will participate in an online pre-departure orientation meeting and also participate in an in-country in-person orientation meeting held by Fulbright Germany.

Candidate Profile

Applicants are welcome from all academic fields. They must have completed at least a bachelor's degree at the start of the grant. Academic qualifications should be specific to a clear and feasible project or study plan.

Candidates who have strong intercultural and leadership skills, and who have experience with and motivation for community engagement, are particularly encouraged. Adaptability, resilience, and openness are a requirement.

Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
4 Months

Applicants already enrolled in a master’s program in Germany, or who have already begun their academic program in Germany, are not eligible for Fulbright funding.

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

In addition to submitting Supplemental Materials, all semi-finalists in the field of music, fine arts and performing arts for Germany must submit separate materials, as described on this webpage.

You will have to upload your additional musical recordings/work samples to the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) media database. You will receive a link directly via the DAAD portal to upload your work samples after you have been selected as a semi-finalist from IIE. For questions specifically regarding these additional materials and requirements, please contact the Fulbright Commission at americanprograms@fulbright.de.

Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

German language skills need to meet the required language proficiency to pursue the envisaged project.

Many German universities offer master's programs in English, and most research at German universities or research institutions is conducted in English. However, in dealing with German administration and authorities, and to cope with everyday life in their host community, candidates should have at least basic knowledge of German. All applicants should refresh their German language skills during the months before arriving in Germany, and they are encouraged to take additional courses offered at their potential German host institutions.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Letter required at deadline

Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliation with higher education or research host institutions in Germany.

Before beginning the application process, candidates should research the best match to pursue research or to study, taking into consideration the faculty, achievements, publications, and research of the relevant research institute or university department, as well as their locations.

All applicants are required to solicit a meaningful letter of invitation/support from their host institution and include it in their Fulbright application. The letter should make clear reference to the applicant's project, explain the institution's motivation for hosting the applicant, confirm the feasibility of the project, and outline the cooperation and support which the host institution will offer to help achieve the applicant's goals. The invitation letter is a prerequisite for the affiliation/matriculation with the host institution as a visiting/non-degree-seeking student or researcher. The host institution (either university or research institute) must also provide documentation of affiliated student/researcher status in order for the grantee to apply and receive the required residence permit for Germany.

In general, candidates are recommended to consult with the international offices of their intended host institutions regarding matriculation/affiliation requirements for Fulbright grantees.  

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits



Housing Arrangements

Applicants are responsible for their own housing arrangements and costs.


Dependent financial support is available
University Matriculation

All designated grantees (including research fellows and arts grantees) must be officially affiliated/associated with the host institution, be it a research institute or one of the 400 accredited German academic institutions. This may either be a full student (degree or non-degree seeking) matriculation or a researcher status. The matriculation at a university facilitates access to university resources, public transportation passes, health insurance, and, most importantly, the residence permit.

Affiliation with a research institute provides the candidates with office and lab space, computer facilities, internet connection, library access, and help with securing a residency permit.

The host institution (either university or research institute) must provide documentation of affiliated student/researcher status in order for the grantee to apply and receive the required residence permit for Germany.

Master's Programs: In Germany, master's degrees typically require a bachelor's in the same or a closely related field. Applicants who wish to enroll in a German master's program are advised to research the admission requirements of their preferred program to make sure they are eligible for admission and fulfill all necessary application requirements. Applicants may need to submit their master's program application before knowing if they will receive a Fulbright grant. Official admission needs to be confirmed by the start of the grant.

Candidates who seek admission in a two years master’s degree program in Germany need to finance living expenses themselves in the second year.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Fulbright Germany : americanprograms@fulbright.de
Additional Online Resources
Alumni reports are available in the “Our Fulbrighters” section of the Fulbright Germany website: : https://www.fulbright.de/news/our-fulbrighters
What is Fulbright Germany?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dImOplb6hWk