US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


Fulbright-Fogarty Public Health Fellowship Award NEW

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
September Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
Special Study/Research
Specialized Grant Types
  • Science/Public Health
Award Profile

The Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships in Public Health are offered through a partnership between the Fulbright Program and the Fogarty International Center of the U.S. National Institutes of Health. These awards were established to promote the expansion of research in public health and clinical research in resource-limited settings.

Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships carry the same benefits as the traditional Fulbright Study/Research grants to the host country. The Fogarty International Center, NIH, will provide support to the research training site and may provide orientation for the fellows at the NIH.

For more details on Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships and application instructions, please review the ‘Type of Awards’ page:

Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
September Start

Grantees must begin their 9-month grants in September 2024 to attend a mandatory in-country orientation. The exact start date is subject to agreement with the host institution and the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation (PDO) in the U.S. in the summer of 2024 as a condition of their grants. The PDO is organized for Fulbright ETAs, U.S. researchers and scholars going to many different countries in the East Asia and Pacific (EAP) region. Details to be announced and confirmed by the International Institute of Education (IIE).

Grantees will be required to participate in a Virtual Pre-Departure Orientation (VPDO) in June/July as a condition of their grants. In addition, grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation with NIH in July.

Candidate Profile

Pre-doctoral trainees:

Must be enrolled in an accredited doctoral-level program (MD, PhD, DDS, or comparable degree from an accredited institution) in public health, government, business, design, engineering, education, medicine, nutrition, law, pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and nursing. Eligible doctoral degrees include, but are not limited to: DMD, DC, DO, DVM, OD, DPM, ScD, EngD, DrPH, DNSc, DPT, PharmD, ND, DSW, PsyD, JD and Doctorate of Philosophy in Nursing.

Health-professional students who wish to interrupt their studies for a year or more to engage in full-time research training before completing their formal training programs are also eligible.

By the start of the program year (July 2024), fellows must be an MD (and other professional degrees) student who has completed their 3rd year or a Ph.D. candidate who has completed their Master’s level requirements (i.e., post-qualifying exam).

Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Accepted Degree Levels
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

Select "Fulbright-Fogarty" for Award Type in the application.  

All Fulbright-Fogarty applicants pursuing a placement in Vietnam should select “Public Health” as the Field of Study in the Fulbright application. 

Foreign Language Proficiency
Recommended - Novice

Additional Information:

Vietnamese language proficiency commensurate with the nature of the proposed project is recommended. There may be opportunities for language instruction at time of orientation; it is highly recommended that grantees continue language study throughout their grant periods.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Affiliation: UNC Project - Vietnam

UNC Project Vietnam site in Hanoi has been operational since 2001. UNC has invested in enhanced local clinical, laboratory, and pharmacy capacity to meet international QA standards for conducting investigational drug trials in Vietnam. UNC has established Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with the 198 Hospital, Hanoi Medical University (HMU), Vietnam Authority for AIDS control, and Bach Mai Hospital. UNC has two main research sites in Hanoi: Hanoi Medical University and National Lung Hospital. Our primary partners for all research and training activities are governmental institutions within the Ministry of Health (MOH), including the Vietnam Authority of HIV/AIDS Control (VAAC), the primary agency responsible for overseeing and implementing HIV-related programs and policy in Vietnam. Our success over the years has been based on transparency with the VAAC and the alignment of our activities with Vietnam’s research priorities. Our strong research collaborations and infrastructure position the Vietnam site well to access at risk populations with and without HIV, including people who inject drugs, men who have sex with men, transgender women, HBV-infected individuals, and TB patients, as well as access to HIV-infected individuals at ART clinics.

Fellows would be expected to work with U.S. and Vietnam based mentor groups to develop an independent research project that could be integrated into one of the following projects or in a new area of interest:

  • HIV in at risk populations including men who have sex with men and people who inject drugs
  • Substance abuse
  • Alcohol reduction interventions
  • Implementation research
  • HIV/STI prevalence studies
  • Mental health
  • HIV comorbidities including HCV and TB

U.S. Partner: UJMT Launching Future Leaders in Global Health (LAUNCH)

Site Contacts:

Vivian Go –

Tran Viet Ha –



Applicants are required to obtain a letter of support from the site contact.  

When emailing project contacts, please include both contacts and attach a current CV and a concise statement (less than 500 words) about your interest in the program (especially your primary research interest). 


Affiliation: Hanoi Medical University (HMU)

U.S. Partner: GloCal Health Fellowship Consortium (GloCal) Contact: Craig Cohen,

Hanoi Medical University (HMU), established in 1902, is the oldest and largest health sciences university in Vietnam. HMU has a 400-bed teaching hospital and schools in medicine, nursing, public health, and traditional medicine. HMU has more than 70 academic departments and research units and about 1000 faculty members who have received their graduate training in Vietnam and/or abroad. It collaborates with universities all over the world for teaching and research.

The collaboration between HMU and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) started in 2011 with the Vietnam – HIV Addiction Technology Transfer Center (VHATTC) project, funded by SAMHSA with technical assistance from UCLA’s Integrated Substance Abuse Program. VHATTC (now renamed to Vietnam International Technology Transfer Center) continues to be a technical assistance resource for addiction professionals in Vietnam. In 2016, a Fogarty-funded training program on advanced epidemiological methods (NIH D43 TWW010057) for Vietnamese scholars was led by Dr. Li Li (UCLA). Collaboration on a study of antimicrobial resistance in STDs began in 2017, and continued with a study on STIs among PrEP users and antimicrobial resistance in N. gonorrhoeae (7R21AI157817-02). In 2020, NIDA funded HMU to work with Dr. Steven Shoptaw (UCLA) on a study to reduce methamphetamine use among methadone patients (R01DA050486).

With the continuing GloCal training program, HMU aims to develop more studies in important areas including HIV/AIDS, STIs, antimicrobial resistance, addiction, mental health, aging and non-communicable diseases.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits
Dependent financial support is NOT available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Ms. Phuong Hoang: