US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


4 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
September Start
Grant Length
10 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

Up to 4 grants are available for students who would like to conduct independent research and/or to study in all fields in Taiwan during academic year 2024-2025. Please see "Candidate Profile" for a description of the award categories.

During the 10-month grant period, grantees can broaden their professional, scientific, and artistic skills.

Grant Length
10 Months
Grant Period
September Start

The grant period is 10 months. Grants must begin in September 2024 and end in June 2025. Grantees should arrive in Taiwan in time for the Welcome Meeting (usually the Friday after Labor Day).

In-Country Orientation

The post-arrival orientation will be held usually the Friday after Labor Day.

Candidate Profile

Academic Applications:

Applicants must be U.S. citizens currently enrolled in a doctoral degree program.

Creative and Performing Arts Applications:

Master’s and Ph.D. students are preferred, but graduating seniors and recent graduates will be considered.

Applications are welcome in all fields of study or creative arts. Candidate must be willing and able to work with a high degree of independence.

Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
9 Months

Candidates currently residing in Taiwan (or those who will be living there during the 2023-2024 academic year) will not be considered.

A candidate who has lived outside the United States for five or more consecutive years in the six-year period preceding the date of application will be ineligible.

Individuals with dual U.S.-Taiwan citizenship or permanent residency are not eligible.

Applicants with completed doctorates at the time of the start of the award are not eligible.

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Additional Information: A working knowledge of Mandarin or Taiwanese is strongly encouraged, but not required if the project does not need it. Conducting dissertation research in Traditional Chinese Studies will require advanced language skills.

Mandarin study in Taiwan is highly encouraged. 

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Applicants must identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Appropriate institutions include nonprofit institutions of higher education and research, authenticated colleges, authenticated universities, libraries, archives, museums, art centers, hospitals, public television, radio stations, government agencies, national laboratories, privately sponsored nonprofit institutes, nonprofit organizations, government charted nonprofit research organizations, and foundations. 

Please be mindful July and August are the traditional summer vacation months in Taiwan and responses to inquiries about the invitation letters may be delayed. Applicants are advised to contact Taiwanese host institutions well ahead of time to solicit an affiliation letter for their application.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits

The Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (Fulbright Taiwan) provides a monthly stipend for housing, food, and daily needs. Please visit the Fulbright Taiwan website for more financial information.

Housing Arrangements

The Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (Fulbright Taiwan) will book the grantees in a hotel for first four nights close to the office and provide appropriate real estate listing and provide the rental housing-related information.

Grantees are offered a one-time-only settling-in allowance and a monthly partial housing allowance during their grant period.

Dependent financial support is available

To be eligible for the increased maintenance allowance for dependents, dependents must reside in Taiwan for at least 80% of the grant period. The Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (Fulbright Taiwan) will also assist the grantees’ dependents in facilitating their Visa and Alien Resident Certificate applications.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Additional Online Resources
List of Universities and Colleges in Taiwan:
Academia Sinica:
National Palace Museum:
National Central Library:
National Health Research Institutes:
Public Television Service Foundation:
Learn Chinese in Taiwan :
National Museum of Marine Biology & Aquarium:
Education in Taiwan: