US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


14 Open Study/Research Award for Graduate Students

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Flexible Start
Grant Length
12 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

PhD dissertation research candidates, students enrolled in graduate schools pursuing professional degrees in fields such as law, business, journalism, international relations, public administration, and fine arts or graduates from the above-mentioned professional schools within three years of the time of application, are eligible to apply. Non-Japan Studies specialists or first-timers to Japan must show the feasibility of their proposals and indicate how a research experience in Japan will relate to their career plans.


Fulbright Glen S. Fukushima Fund (FGSFF)

The Fund was established in 2022 through a private donation from American Fulbright alumnus Glen S. Fukushima, Vice President of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation and former President of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan. Mr. Fukushima was a 1982-83 Fulbright Graduate Research Fellow to the University of Tokyo.

Following the selection of all American Fulbright grantees going to Japan, one Graduate Research Fellow per year will be competitively awarded the Fulbright-Glen S. Fukushima Fund grant, which will provide the full standard Fulbright Japan grant amount for Americans, plus an additional ¥1,000,000 in stipends.

Grant Length
12 Months
Grant Period
Flexible Start

Grants may begin at any date from July 2025 through March 2026. Awards for PhD dissertation grantees may be extended for a maximum of six months in two three-month iterations, depending on availability of funds and subject to satisfactory justification and progress. Applicants who think their work will require more than one year should include justification in their research proposals.

In-Country Orientation

Individual briefing upon arrival in Japan.

What is life like for Fulbrighters in the host country?

The third largest economy on Earth and Asia’s most prosperous democracy, Japan is home to world-leading universities and research institutions that have produced countless scholars of global distinction, along with cutting-edge innovations that have improved the lives of all.

Since 1952, generations of American Fulbrighters have immersed themselves to gain a deeper understanding of the culture and society that make Japan one of the most fascinating civilizations in history, as well as the most indispensable partner nation for the United States today.

Visiting students enjoy unsurpassed freedom to interact with the people and the land, to experience the beauty of four distinct seasons, and to appreciate the daily contrasts between ancient tradition and cosmopolitan modernity.   

Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
3 Months
Dual citizens of this country are NOT eligible

Candidates living in Japan may apply only if they are studying Japanese language full-time and have not otherwise been studying or conducting research or been employed in the immediate past in Japan.

Applicants with completed doctorates at the time of the start of the award are not eligible.

Degree Level of Applicant
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Special Application Instructions

The Commission provides grants to American applicants for proposed study or research in Japan in Humanities and Social Sciences.

  • Applicants proposing interdisciplinary study or research between any of the above fields are also eligible for grants.
  • Applications will also be accepted in the fields of architecture, creative writing, design, painting, and sculpture.
  • Applicants must have interests in Japanese culture and society in the broad sense, not limited within their proposed fields of study. 
  • Applicants demonstrating study or research plans/goals that are strongly related to furthering mutual understanding and cooperative pursuits between Japan and the United States will generally be preferred over those who lack such intent.
Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Intermediate

At least two years of college-level study, or equivalent, is required prior to commencing the grant. Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Japan Studies specialists who plan to conduct advanced research must have the necessary language skills.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Applicants must identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. The Fulbright Commission will confirm final affiliations for candidates awarded Fulbright grants.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition covered in grant benefits

An allowance to cover the mandatory affiliation fees for one university will be provided.

Award Benefits
  • A stipend broadly based on the cost of living in the host country. These funds may be used by the grantee to support housing, meals, and incidental costs during the grant period.
  • International travel benefits
  • Accident & sickness health benefits
  • 24/7 mental health support line for urgent and non-urgent situations
  • 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government
Stipend Amount

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

210,000 monthly stipend amount in
¥ [Japanese Yen]

Housing allowance will be provided separately as follows:

  • single: ¥80,000
  • with 1 dependent:  ¥100,000
  • with 2 dependents:  ¥120,000
  • with 3 dependents or more: ¥150,000
One-Time Allowances

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

680,000 (+$500) in
¥ [Japanese Yen]
  • Research/Materials allowance
  • Settling in allowance
  • Settling-in Allowance: ¥80,000 *
  • Baggage Allowance (round-trip): ¥100,000 and $500
  • Research/Book Allowance: ¥400,000
  • Research Travel Allowance: ¥100,000

* The amount of Settling-in Allowance is equivalent to one month's housing allowance. The rate varies according to the grantee's "dependents" status while on grant.

Estimated Cost of Living

Consider using cost of living comparison websites to gain a better understanding of the potential costs in your host country.

Average of Monthly Expenditure per Household (One-person Households)

Including housing/foods/other goods and services.

  • Hokkaido&Tohoku: ¥151,748
  • Kanto: ¥178,888
  • Hokuriku&Tokai: ¥167,890
  • Kinki: ¥167,202
  • Chugoku&Shikoku: ¥149,639
  • Kyushu&Okinawa: ¥158,877

Reference: Statistics Bureau of Japan/2023 Yearly Average Survey Results

* NOTE: These are regional averages. Certain metropolitan areas within the regions will likely have higher costs of living than these average figures.

Dependent financial support is available

The term "accompanying family dependent" includes the following:  (a) spouse who is not on paid sabbatical from a position in the U.S., who is not on a separate grant scholarship or fellowship tenable in Japan, or who will not be working full-time or earning more than ¥150,000 per month (before tax) in or out of Japan; (b) unmarried children, under 21. 

A monthly Family Allowance will be provided for the period spent in Japan with the grantee. The allowance will not be paid for periods less than 30 consecutive days. 

  • with 1 dependent: ¥45,000
  • with 2 dependents: ¥60,000
  • with 3 or more dependents: ¥70,000
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Japanese Language Proposal

Applicants MUST submit a one-page Statement of Grant Purpose in Japanese in addition to the two-page English version. Both documents should be uploaded in the correlating fields in the Fulbright online application. The translated document should be uploaded as a PDF document.

Personal Statement

A one-page Personal Statement in English is required. Please follow the instructions on the "Application Component" page.