Instructions for Study/Research Recommendation Writers
The Fulbright Application Deadline is Tuesday October 12, 2021 at 5 pm Eastern Time. All recommendation forms MUST be submitted through the Fulbright online application system by this time and date. No exceptions.
If you are not familiar with the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, please visit: us.fulbrightonline.org. The most useful sections for recommenders are Application Components and the Country Summary for the applicant’s proposed host country and specific award.
Fulbright applicants register recommenders in the Fulbright Online Application System allowing them to upload the recommendation letter online so that it can be included with the applicant's online application.
The Fulbright Program requires that recommendations be submitted in the Fulbright online application system, as screening committees will only have access to recommendations submitted electronically.
In completing the recommendation, keep in mind that the applicant will be serving as a cultural ambassador representing the United States and that personal suitability, as well as academic excellence, is an important criterion to be considered. The study/research grant applicant should provide you with the Fulbright Statement of Grant Purpose and the Personal Statement.
Please comment on the following, as appropriate:
- Feasibility of the applicant's proposed project in terms of the resources available and the research environment within the host country.
- Appropriateness of the project and subject matter for the host country
- Suitability of the proposed research methodology given the topic and the applicant’s background
- Ability of the applicant to successfully carry out the proposed research project and/or degree program within the allotted grant period.
- Linguistic preparation for the proposed plan.
- Applicant's ability to adapt to a different cultural environment and to represent the U.S. as a cultural ambassador.
- If in the arts, comment on the applicant's talent and potential for growth.
- Any other factors which you believe may have a bearing on the applicant's experience overseas.
The steps below allow you to submit the reference:
- Once the applicant has registered you as a recommender, an email will be sent to you from the Fulbright Online Application System with the student’s name in the subject line. If you do not receive this email, please ask the applicant to resend the invitation email.
- Prepare the recommendation offline and save it as a Word document for your records as the program will not provide copies after submission.
- We request that letters be submitted on institution/organization letterhead as this is the generally accepted professional standard. If you do not have access to letterhead, please be sure that your name and mailing address is on the top of the first page of the letter.
- Open the link in the invitation email sent to you from the application system via FBstudent@iie.org. Google Chrome is the most compatible browser. We advise against using Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or Firefox due to some reported compatibility issues; Tablets/Phones cannot be used for submission.
- Following the steps in the online system, complete the required fields and upload your letter.
- Before submitting, click ‘preview’ to ensure this is the letter you wish to have reviewed by screening committees in the U.S. and abroad and that it appears correctly. After submission, you will not have access to edit or change it.
- If you wish to save a copy for your personal reference, click the ‘Display Copy’ button and save the letter to your files.
- The final step is to submit the recommendation. Sign the form electronically and click submit. A confirmation email will be sent to the recommender and applicant once the recommendation form has been submitted.
Important Note: Only recommendations submitted via the Fulbright Online Application System will be reviewed. If you encounter issues uploading or submitting the recommendation, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Early Campus Deadlines: The applicant will provide you with the date the recommendation is due. For currently enrolled applicants or alumni applying through their alma mater, this date will be earlier than the Fulbright national application deadline. Recommendations submitted after the campus deadline may not be considered during the campus review process, but should still be submitted prior to the national deadline.