Instructions for English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Recommendation Writers
The Fulbright National Application Deadline is Tuesday October 12, 2021 at 5 pm Eastern Time. All recommendation forms MUST be submitted through the Fulbright Online Application System by this time and date. No exceptions.
If you are not familiar with the Fulbright U.S. Student Program please visit: us.fulbrightonline.org. The most useful sections for recommenders are Application Components and the Country Summary for the applicant’s proposed host country and specific award.
The Fulbright Program requires the submission of an ETA Recommendation Form and not a letter of recommendation for ETA applicants. The Fulbright Program will not accept recommendation letters for ETA applicants.
Fulbright applicants register recommenders in the Fulbright Online Application System allowing them to complete the recommendation online so that it can be included with the applicant's online application.
The Fulbright Program requires that recommendations be submitted in the Fulbright Online Application System, as screening committees will only have access to recommendations submitted electronically.
In completing the recommendation form, keep in mind that the applicant will be serving as a cultural ambassador representing the United States and that personal suitability, as well as academic excellence, is an important criterion to be considered. The applicant should provide you with the Fulbright Statement of Grant Purpose and the Personal Statement.
Summary of the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program
Fulbright ETA’s are not responsible for designing curricula or teaching full courses. Rather they serve, under supervision, at their assigned placements and will be expected to develop and carry out a variety of learning activities, make presentations on U.S. culture and society, and/or assist faculty in an English Language Department with their teaching responsibilities, as needed.
In addition, some countries request that applicants describe an academic or supplemental project or activity that they would pursue concurrent with the ETA assignment. This is a secondary component of some grants and may provide insight into the applicant's interest in the host country, academic or career interests, and/or suitability for the ETA program.
Factors for Consideration
Proficiency with and knowledge of English usage, grammar, spelling, and writing is an important factor in a successful English Teaching Assistantship. You may be able to comment on the applicant’s abilities in those areas from tests or papers they have prepared for your course or from formal presentations, classroom discussion or individual interviews with the applicant, or from your observations of them in a professional environment.
Steps to submit the ETA Recommendation Form
- Once the applicant has registered you as a recommender, an email will be sent to you from the Fulbright Online Application System (email: FBstudent@iie.org) with the student’s name in the subject line. If you do not receive this email, please ask the applicant to resend the invitation email.
- Log in to the system using the link sent to you from the application system via FBstudent@iie.org. Google Chrome is the most compatible browser. We advise against using Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or Firefox due to some reported compatibility issues; Tablets/Phones cannot be used for submission.
- You will see a page with the names of applicants who have listed you as a recommender in the Fulbright Online Application System.
- Following the steps in the online system, enter your responses directly into the ETA Recommendation Form. Do not use hard returns for spacing.
- If you wish to save a copy for your personal reference, click the ‘Display Copy’ button and save the PDF of the form to your files. The ‘Display Copy’ is for your records only, as a different version will be attached to the application. This must be done prior to submission. The program will not provide copies after submission.
- Before you click Submit, be sure that this is the information that you wish to have reviewed by screening committees in the U.S. and abroad. Once you submit the recommendation, you will not have access to edit or change it.
- The final step is to submit the recommendation. Sign the form electronically and click submit. A confirmation email will be sent to the recommender and applicant once the recommendation form has been submitted.
Important Note: Only recommendations submitted via the Fulbright Online Application System will be reviewed.
Early Campus Deadlines: The applicant will provide you with the date the recommendation is due. For currently enrolled applicants or alumni applying through their alma mater, this date will be earlier than the Fulbright national application deadline. Recommendations submitted after the campus deadline may not be considered during the campus review process, but should stilll be submitted prior to the national deadline.