US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


7 English Teaching Assistant Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
Grant Period
March Start
Grant Length
9 Months
Award Type
English Teaching Assistant
Award Profile

ETAs will offer their support and academic and professional knowledge to students and professors in the classroom of their host institution for 20-25 hours per week. They will share their understanding and first-hand experience of U.S. culture by organizing and executing educational, cultural, and social activities, both within the classroom and in extracurricular programs. In addition to their principal work at their assigned institution, ETAs will also design and dedicate 10 hours per week to a socially-oriented supplementary project. ETAs are responsible for prioritizing their work in their affiliation center and will be expected to complete a monthly report for the Fulbright Commission in Peru, in which they will provide updates on their work.


Grant Length
9 Months
Grant Period
March Start

Grant Length: 9 months

Grant periods are typically from March to mid-December, 2025 (9 months).

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

Mandatory. The Commission in Peru will organize online mandatory pre-departure group and individual sessions with all ETAs starting November 2024 - January 2025. The grant period starts with a mandatory 5-day orientation in Peru organized by the Fulbright Commission in Lima. Candidates should plan to arrive in Lima at the beginning of March.

Candidate Profile

The Fulbright Commission in Peru welcomes applications from candidates with a demonstrated interest in working in an educational environment. Candidates with degrees in English, Spanish, Education, or TEFL/applied linguistics with some experience teaching or tutoring are preferred. Other fields will be seriously considered if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy.

Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Advanced

Additional Information: A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college-level Spanish language instructor is required.

Successful candidates must be articulate English speakers with native-level fluency.

Placement Type
  • University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees will be assigned to teaching assistantship positions at COARS (Government-run High Performance Schools), universities, technical schools, and teacher training colleges,  in Lima or in the Peruvian provinces. The colleges, which train ESL teachers, may or may not be affiliated with a university. However, they are part of the Peruvian System of Higher Education.

ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, but will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. The Fulbright Commission will match the grantee with the appropriate host institution. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the host institution and based on the academic profile of the selected candidate and the host institution’s needs. In these cases, the Commission will discuss project alternatives with the grantee when the placement is made.

Placement Locations
  • Regional City
  • Rural

ETAs may be placed in rural or urban areas depending on the location of the host institution.

Supplementary Project

English Teaching Assistants responsibilities at their host institution will be up to 25 hours per week; therefore, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. Applicants should consider a project that they would pursue if awarded the grant. Applicants should keep in mind that these activities should be flexible respective to geographic location, since they will not know where they will be placed until October 2024. For example, ETAs may pursue a course of study, conduct research into topics or issues relative to Peru, engage in specific volunteer activities, or a combination of these activities.

Housing Arrangements

ETAs will be responsible for covering housing expenses with their stipend.

Dependent financial support is NOT available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Diana Costa:
Additional Online Resources
U.S. Embassy in Peru: