US Fulbright Logo

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a U.S. college or university, you will apply through that institution, even if you are not currently a resident there. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a Ph.D. degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered.


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program or Fulbright Foreign Student Program.


8 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Grant Period
Fall Start
Grant Length
9-12 Months
Award Type
Open Study/Research
Award Profile

The Jordanian-American Commission for Educational Exchange (JACEE) plans to award up to 8 grants to students for post-graduate study and research for the 2025-2026 academic year. JACEE awards are granted on the basis of academic excellence, the leadership promise of the applicant, and the potential of the proposed visit to enhance mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and Jordan. This program is designed to give recent graduates, young professionals, and artists opportunities for professional development and international experience. Grantees plan their own projects, which may include library or field research. Along with opportunities for intellectual, professional, and artistic growth, the Fulbright Program offers invaluable opportunities to meet and work with people of the host country, sharing daily life as well as professional and creative experiences.

Grant Length
9-12 Months
Grant Period
Fall Start

Grants will begin on August 31, 2025 with an end date between May 30, 2026 and August 30, 2026 (depending on grant length). Exceptions will be considered, on a case-by-case basis, to postpone a grant start date until no later than January 1, 2026 with an end-date of no later than September 30, 2026.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

The Commission will schedule a virtual Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) in June 2025. The In-Country Orientation will be during the first week of September 2025, once all grantees arrive to Jordan to begin their grants. Those who choose to delay their grant to January 2026 will receive an individual or small-group orientation with the Program Officer. 

Candidate Profile

Preference is given to candidates currently enrolled in a Master’s or Ph.D. program, whose primary focus is on their thesis or dissertation research rather than language study. Applicants in the arts and at-large candidates whose principal focus is research are similarly preferred. Applications for part-time or full-time independent study are considered if the candidate can demonstrate advanced or near-fluent Arabic language proficiency and that the course of study or research will be conducted through a host academic institution in Jordan. See the "Affiliation" section. 

What is life like for Fulbrighters in the host country?

Living in Jordan can be a very rewarding experience on many different levels. Jordanian culture has Arabic and Islamic elements with substantial Western influence. Its population is diverse because of its strategic location. There are many attractive touristic sites and numerous places to explore. Jordanians are known to be gracious and friendly hosts. The climate is hot and dry in the summer and cool and rainy in the winter.

The academic year for both universities and schools in Jordan is from September to May/June and is usually divided into two semesters. All schools in Jordan, including public, private, and international schools follow a school calendar set by the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.

The Commission in Jordan is the main point of contact for all Fulbright grantees. The office of the Jordanian-American Commission for Educational Exchange, known as the Fulbright House, is located in a villa in the quiet residential district of Abdoun in Amman. The Fulbright House serves Jordanian and American students, scholars and professionals, and provides a support network for all Fulbrighters in Jordan. 

The Fulbright staff is committed to ensuring that each grantee becomes a member of our Fulbright family and feels that a home-away-from-home is ever present from the day of their arrival in the Kingdom. The Fulbright staff in Jordan assist incoming Fulbrighters in securing suitable apartments and introducing them to the local community. The staff at the Fulbright House also provide assistance in securing residency and/or work permits, locating medical care, and providing guidance regarding medication needs.

For more information please visit the following helpful links:

·        Jordan Pass

·        Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities

·        Britannica

·        American Embassy in Jordan

·        Entry Visa Requirements

Residency in host country NOT permitted in year prior to grant
Indicate how many months is considered residency:
6 Months
Dual citizens of this country are eligible
Degree Level of Applicant
  • Bachelor's
  • Master's
  • Doctoral
Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Intermediate

Candidates applying for a proposed combination of studying Arabic language and conducting research should ideally have studied Arabic full-time for at least two years prior to applying for the grant. Candidates planning to audit university lecture courses where the language of instruction is Arabic must have completed at least four years of intensive study of Arabic, with a high oral comprehension score (near fluent) on the foreign language evaluation. Please note, however, that permission to audit a course at a Jordanian public or private university is not the norm and will require a series of approvals with the final authority resting with the university's president. Prior contact and approval, as evidenced by a letter of invitation, is highly recommended.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research:
Graduate Degree Enrollment:
Independent Study/Research:
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline

Local institutional affiliations will be coordinated, secured, or confirmed by JACEE. A pre-secured letter of invitation from a Jordanian institution is required and should be submitted by the applicant, as part of the Fulbright application. JACEE will reconfirm submitted letters of affiliation prior to the award start date; failure to have a proper affiliation will result in your grant not being finalized. No research clearance is required for Jordan.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition
Affiliation Fees/Tuition not covered in grant benefits

Grantees whose sole focus is Arabic language study or university coursework will need to secure independent (non-Fulbright) funds to cover the local university’s tuition costs and fees.

Award Benefits
  • A stipend broadly based on the cost of living in the host country. These funds may be used by the grantee to support housing, meals, and incidental costs during the grant period.
  • International travel benefits
  • Accident & sickness health benefits
  • 24/7 mental health support line for urgent and non-urgent situations
  • 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government
Stipend Amount

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

2,250 monthly stipend amount in
$ [US Dollar]

This includes a monthly transport allowance. Grantees with dependents receive an additional amount for 1 or 2+ dependents.

One-Time Allowances

This is an estimated amount and is subject to change. The financial terms of the grant will be confirmed in the grant document issued after selection.

$10,900 in
$ [US Dollar]
  • Research/Materials allowance
  • Settling in allowance
  • Local transportation allowance

Grantees will also receive $250/month for local transportation.

Estimated Cost of Living

Consider using cost of living comparison websites to gain a better understanding of the potential costs in your host country.

Dependent financial support is available
Housing Arrangements

JACEE will provide to new grantees a housing directory of recommendations from past grantees. Upon arrival in Amman, the Commission will book rooms for the grantees for two to three nights at a hotel close to the Commission. The costs for the hotel stay will be covered by the grantee's settling-in allowance, which will be wire-transferred to the grantee in advance.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Residency Permits

All grantees who are staying in Jordan for a study grant are required to obtain a Government of Jordan (GOJ) Residency Permit. JACEE staff will provide assistance in securing the permit. All grantees must take an HIV blood test at one of the Ministry of Health clinics as part of the residency permit requirements. HIV test results from the U.S. are not accepted by the GOJ Ministry of Health.


With the exception of a few locales listed on the State Department's travel advisory for Jordan (State Department Travel Advisory for Jordan), most areas in Jordan are considered safe. However, the Commision does not permit inter-city travel at night due to road hazards and the increased potential for accidents.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact
Additional Online Resources
Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn :