Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Education Loan Deferments


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply to defer my student loans while I am on my Fulbright grant?

Yes, a Fulbrighter can apply for loan deferments for the term of the grant. However, it is the grantee’s responsibility to contact the lending institution, confirm that they accept loan deferment requests, and obtain the correct loan deferment forms.

Fulbright grants usually fall under the Graduate Fellowship deferment category and the grantee should confirm with the lender that this is the appropriate deferment request for submission.

Who fills out the forms?

The grantee should complete the student portion of the deferment form and sign it before sending it to IIE. IIE will complete the institutional portion and then submit it to the lender.

When should I send in the forms?

Once grant dates are confirmed the forms can be submitted to IIE. When sending in the deferment request forms please indicate: Grantee Name, Country of Grant, Exact Grant Dates, and the email address/fax #/mailing address that IIE should use when submitting the deferment forms to the lending institution.

Deferment forms will only be authorized for the Fulbright grant period, regardless of how long one plans to remain in the host country.

Most lending institutions will not accept loan deferment request forms in advance of the grant period, so IIE does not submit the forms until 2-3 weeks prior to the grant start date. In addition, some lenders will not accept a deferment request form before the end of the grace period so the grantee needs to confirm with the lending institution when the form should be submitted.

Where do I send the forms?

When sending in the deferment request forms please indicate: Grantee Name, Country of Grant, Exact Grant Dates, and the email address/fax #/mailing address that IIE should use when submitting the deferment forms to the lending institution. If the forms need to be sent in hard copy, please provide IIE with a stamped and addressed envelope. To submit the loan deferment request forms via email please refer to the contact list below and use the following subject line in your message: “Fulbright Loan Deferment Form-Your Name”.

Click here for listing
Central America & Caribbean Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
East Asia-Pacific Joan Stuart jstuart@iie.org
Eurasia Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
North Africa/Middle East Brenda McNeil bmcneil@iie.org
North & South America Brenda McNeil bmcneil@iie.org
South and Central Asia Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Sub-Saharan Africa Brenda McNeil bmcneil@iie.org
Fulbright-mtvU Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Fulbright-National Geographic Fellowship Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Eastern Europe
Albania Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Bosnia & Herzegovina Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Bulgaria Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Croatia Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Czech Republic Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Estonia Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Hungary Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Kosovo Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Latvia Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Lithuania Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Macedonia Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Montenegro Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Poland Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Romania Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Serbia Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Slovenia Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Slovak Republic Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Western Europe
Andorra Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Austria Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Belgium Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Cyprus Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Denmark Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
European Union Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Finland Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
France Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Germany Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Greece Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Iceland Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Ireland Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Italy Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Luxembourg Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Malta Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Netherlands Richard Harris rharris@iie.org
Norway Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Portugal Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Spain Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Sweden Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Switzerland Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
Turkey Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org
United Kingdom Philana Murphy pmurphy@iie.org


Or Mail Forms To:

Institute of International Education
U.S. Student Programs Division
Attn: [insert contact name for your program based on the list above]
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.