Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Types of Grants

Study/Research Grants

The Fulbright Study/Research grant is the traditional award opportunity where a candidate designs a proposal for a specific country. Country Summaries are available here.

English Teaching Assistant Grants

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant programs place grantees in schools overseas to supplement local English language instruction and to provide a native speaker presence in the classrooms. Countries offering English Teaching Assistant grant are listed here.


Special Programs

Fulbright-Clinton Fellowships
The J. William Fulbright-Hillary Rodham Clinton Fellowship will allow fellows to serve in professional public-policy-related placements in foreign government ministries or institutions and to gain hands-on public sector experience in participating foreign countries, while simultaneously carrying out an academic study/research project.
Fulbright-mtvU Awards
Fulbright mtvU Awards are available to all countries where there is an active Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Projects should center around research on an aspect of international musical culture, and should focus on contemporary or popular music as a cultural force for expression. Preference will be given to recent graduates. In addition to the Fulbright application, an mtvU Documentation and Outreach Plan is required.
Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship
The Fulbright–National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship provides a unique platform for American Fulbright students to develop global narratives and discuss commonalities across borders around a common issue or theme. Trained, supported, and mentored by National Geographic Editors during their grants in one or multiple countries, Fellows will use new media platforms to help build ties across cultures while enhancing mutual understanding. The digital content that they produce will be featured online in various places, including, most prominently, a blog hosted by National Geographic.


Special Grant Opportunities by Field

Fulbright Business Grants

Finland: One Fulbright/Lappeenranta University of Technology graduate award is available for a student in the fields of business or technology. The award is primarily aimed at students who wish to complete a full Master’s degree at Lappeenranta University of Technology.

Mexico: Thirteen Binational Internships to enhance knowledge, expertise, and understanding of post-NAFTA Mexico are available for students interested in combining coursework in international business or law with an internship at a Mexico-based company conducting international or legal business.

Spain: Fulbright/Instituto de Empresa Grants: One award for full-time study in a one-year International MBA program; One grant for a Master’s in International Management.

Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships in Public Health
Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships offered in a partnership between the Fulbright Program and the Fogarty International Center of the U.S. National Institutes of Health have been established to promote the expansion of research in public health and clinical research in resource-limited settings. Interested candidates are urged to be in touch with the site contact in the appropriate country for information.
Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants

The Fulbright awards below include the standard benefits (monthly living stipend, health benefits and round-trip airfare) plus tuition coverage for the graduate degree program. Please see the country summary for specific details.

Australia: Fulbright-Anne Wexler Master’s Award in Public Policy

Finland: Fulbright/University of Turku Graduate Awards, Fulbright/Lappeenranta University of Technology Graduate Awards, Fulbright/University of Helsinki Awards

Iceland: Fulbright/Icelandic Ministry of Education and Culture Grant

Ireland: Fulbright/ Dublin City University Taught Master's Program, Fulbright/ University College Dublin Taught Master's Program, Fulbright Study/Research Grant in Irish Language, Fulbright University of Cork Taught Master’s in Creative Writing, Fulbright / University College Cork Masters in Irish Writing & Film Award, Fulbright/Uversity Masters in Creative Process Award

Italy: Fulbright/Casten Family Foundation Award at the University of Gastronomic Sciences, Fulbright Award for a Master in Public Administration at SDA BOCCONI

Mexico: Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants

Netherlands: Fulbright/Maastricht University Scholarship, Fulbright/ VU University Amsterdam Scholarships, Fulbright/ VU University Amsterdam Scholarships, Fulbright/Radboud Scholarship, Fulbright/TU Delft, Faculty of Applied Sciences Scholarship, Fulbright/Erasmus University Rotterdam, Suzana Rodrigues Scholarship

South Korea: Fulbright Korean Studies Graduate Degree Grants

Spain: Instituto de Empresa International MBA Award, Instituto de Empresa Master's in International Management, Instituto de Empresa Master's - Communication or Social & Behavioral Sciences

Taiwan: Fulbright M.A. Degree Program Grants

United Kingdom: Multiple-See UK Partnership Awards

Fulbright Journalism & Communication Grants

Germany: Fulbright Beginning Professional Journalist Grants consist of an initial research phase, followed by one or more internships or guest journalist positions at German newspapers, publishers, or television and radio stations. Research and internship affiliation will be arranged by the Fulbright Commission in cooperation with the grantee. Applicants should be beginning journalists or recent graduates in journalism or related fields with up to seven years of professional experience.

Ireland: The Fulbright-Uversity Masters in Creative Process award enables U.S. citizens to develop their study in one or more of the following fields: Art and Design, Cinema and Broadcast Arts, Creative Technologies, Creative Writing, Dance, Drama and Theatre Studies, Literature, Arts and Culture and Music at Uversity, a recognized College of the National University of Ireland that provides students with the opportunity to take suites of modules in a number of Ireland’s universities, institutes and private colleges.

Spain: Fulbright-Instituto de Empresa (IE) Masters in Communication or Social Behavioral Sciences - The Instituto de Empresa (IE) in Madrid, one of the world’s leading business schools, offers two awards to pursue any of the following full-time Masters degrees:

  • IE School of Communication
    • Masters in Visual and Digital Media
    • Masters Corporate Communication
  • IE School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
    • Masters in Market Research & Consumer Behavior
    • Masters in Business Analytics & Big Data

Taiwan: The Fulbright-National Chengchi University Awards in International Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies, and International Communication Studies awards are available to pursue a full-time Master’s degree program in International Studies (IMPIS), Asia-Pacific Studies (IMAS), or International Communication Studies (IMICS) at National Chengchi University, a leading university in Taiwan.

Fulbright Grants in Sciences and Public Health

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applicants in the sciences to all eligible countries. Please note some specific grants below:

Canada: The Fulbright Canada STEM Award offers U.S. students support for three years of doctoral study at one of six leading Canadian research universities (McGill University, Université de Montréal, University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, and University of Waterloo) in both basic and applied fields of science, engineering and mathematics.

Indonesia: The Fulbright Indonesia Research, Science & Technology (FIRST) Awards provide scholarships for Americans to study, teach, and conduct research in priority science and technology fields.

Netherlands: The NAF/Fulbright Fellowship for Childhood Cancer Research provides a grant for research at one of the seven pediatric oncology centers the Netherlands.


Supplemental Grant

Critical Language Enhancement Award
The Critical Language Enhancement Award provides a supplement in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for grantees to receive between three and six months of intensive language study in addition to their research or study grants. This opportunity is available for select languages and in limited host countries.
I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.