Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Fulbright ASSIST for U.S. Student Fulbrighters

Fulbright grantees on other programs, such as the Foreign Student or Visiting Scholars Programs, who have urgent insurance questions should contact Seven Corners directly and should be in contact with their IIE advisor for assistance for other concerns.

Fulbright Foreign Students who are experiencing an urgent situation that needs a response (for instance, medical, legal, or visa issues) outside of normal business hours (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday-Friday) should contact the emergency line for Fulbright Foreign Students: 202-326-7721.


Urgent Case Services

  • Mental health crisis support*
  • Sexual assault response
  • Violent Crime response
  • Assisting grantees who have been caught up in civil unrest, natural disasters, or terrorist incidents if unable to reach the Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy in the host country
  • Providing advice to grantees when they feel at risk or vulnerable

Non-Urgent Case Services

  • Medical advice (provided by licensed intensive care nurses)
  • Travel health information
  • Personal security advice

Fulbright ASSIST is a benefit for all grantees in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program while they are on their grants in their host countries.  Fulbright ASSIST is designed to augment the health benefits that are concurrently provided through ASPE.  The Fulbright ASSIST service is operated by The ANVIL Group.  

Fulbright ASSIST is accessible 24 hours a day and is available to provide support to Fulbrighters in urgent and non-urgent situations.  The intensive care nurses responding to grantee calls are trained to handle serious situations such as sexual assaults and mental health crises.  They can also provide medical advice.  In addition, ANVIL’s security team is able to counsel grantees on security overseas and offer security/personal safety support.


Fulbright ASSIST Contact Information

Phone: +1-813-666-0012

When contacting Fulbright ASSIST for the first time, please be prepared to provide your full name and date of birth along with your host country and grant dates. This information will allow ANVIL staff to verify your status as a U.S. Fulbright Student grantee.

If you unable to call the Fulbright ASSIST line directly and need to have the Fulbright ASSIST team give you a call, please email with your name, host country, and date of birth and indicate that you need them to call you. Make sure to provide them with your complete international phone number, including relevant country codes and area codes.

The information provided by you to The ANVIL Group in the event of an illness, emergency or other personal crisis is considered private. However, it may be responsibly shared within organizations administrating your grant program in their efforts to assist and support you.

*For more information, read about the Fulbright health benefits coverage.  Questions regarding health benefits claims and coverage should be addressed to Seven Corners.