Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
Fall Start
Award Profile

The ETA will be assigned as a language-learning assistant working up to 20-25 hours per week, but will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. Responsibilities may include giving presentations on different topics related to the United States, preparing classroom activities, leading conversation clubs and/or encouraging students to communicate in English. The ETA will work with students of all ages, including work with the Access Microscholarship Program.

Grant Period
Fall Start

Grant Length: 10 months.

Grants begin in Fall 2022, and ETAs should plan to attend a mandatory briefing at the U.S. Embassy upon arrival.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation

As a condition of the grant, all grantees to Honduras are required to participate in the Pre-Departure Orientation.

Candidate Profile

Applicants should have some experience working in an educational environment and, specifically, with classroom teaching. Candidates with degrees in English, applied linguistics or foreign languages, and/or certification or significant coursework in teacher education or TESOL, are strongly preferred.

Because this is a student program, candidates with more than three years teaching experience or a Master's degree in TESOL and more than one year of teaching at the time of application may be considered overqualified and not eligible for this program.

Accepted Degree Levels
Supplementary Project
Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant with the Language Self-Evaluation.  A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is required.

Housing Arrangements

The binational center can assist with housing arrangements.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational/Community Institution

Teaching placements will be arranged by the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula. The ETA may be placed at a Binational Center (BNC) affiliated with the U.S. Embassy and a teacher training college.  


Dual citizens of this country are eligible

Residency in host country permitted in year prior to grant

Supplementary Project

ETAs also will pursue an independent research, study, or volunteer project. The project is a secondary activity that will supplement the grantee's ETA responsibilities. Applicants should briefly describe this project in their Statements of Grant Purpose and may address some or all of the following: 1) why the activities are appropriate to Honduras; 2) skills, talents or other qualifications that they bring to the project plan; 3) how they view this plan as contributing to their professional or educational development; and 4) if and how the plan contributes to the Fulbright goals of mutual understanding and host community engagement. Remember that the primary activity for ETAs is in the classroom and not carrying out this project.

Dependent support is not available
Placement Locations

Capital City

English Teaching Assistants will be placed in Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula, one in each city.

Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact