Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


1 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
September Start
Award Profile

As unofficial cultural ambassadors, Fulbright Student Researchers live and conduct their research in cities and villages throughout the Kyrgyz Republic. Through their exchange, these Americans create knowledge and form powerful and enduring people-to-people ties with Kyrgyzstani students, colleagues, and community members.

Country Background: the Kyrgyz Republic, sometimes called the "Switzerland of Asia," is one of five independent states in Central Asia. Its citizens have worked to build an open and democratic society, exemplified by a peaceful transfer of power between presidents in December 2011 and October 2017. A country slightly smaller than South Dakota, the Kyrgyz Republic shares common borders with China, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. It is known for its unique felt crafts, traditional oral legends, and rich natural history. The country's topography and wildlife consist of mountainous regions, the world’s largest natural-growth walnut forest, as well as a number of endangered species, including the snow leopard and Marco Polo sheep. The Kyrgyz Republic hosted the Third World Nomad Games in 2018, a celebration of nomadic heritage that gathers artists, athletes, and visitors from around the world to compete in traditional nomadic games such as horse wrestling, kok boru (dead goat polo), and horseback archery.

Grant Period
September Start

The academic year begins in September and ends in June, including a winter break. It is preferable to arrive at the end of August to have time to find appropriate accommodation and receive an on-site orientation. Academic institutions are closed during the summer months. If the research includes field studies during the summer, the grantee should plan to begin the grant in January.

Grant length - 10 months.

Pre-Departure and In-Country Orientation
Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from university graduates interested in conducting research in any field. Enrollment in graduate school is not required. Willingness of the candidates to contribute to some of the U.S. Embassy’s activities is an asset. Activities may include participation in public outreach, conversation clubs, recruitment for the Foreign Fulbright program, and the like.

Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Not Required

Kyrgyz or Russian proficiency is recommended, but not required. Grantees are provided with a stipend to study a local language while in-country as part of their grant benefit.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: No
No affiliation letter required

The U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section (PAS) will assist in making institutional assignments based on the best and most appropriate match between the interest and expertise of the grantees and the interest of prospective host institutions. An invitation letter may help facilitate placement at that institution, but is not a guarantee of final placement. PAS will decide on the final affiliation. Local institutions must have the capacity to support the work visa of the applicant.  

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

No tuition fee or tuition is required.


Dual citizens of this country are not eligible

Residency in host country permitted in year prior to grant

Research Clearance and Visa Information

Research clearance is not needed, though some archives require official letters from the U.S. Embassy.

Host Universities in the Kyrgyz Republic should be able to provide candidates with a Kyrgyz Work or Student visa; or candidates should be able to receive a five-year visa from the Kyrgyz Embassy in Washington, D.C.


Housing arrangements will be made with the assistance of the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy or the host organization. Upon arrival, grantees will stay in a hotel for 3-4 days before moving into an apartment or staying with a local family.

Dependent support is available
Fulbright Program Management Contact
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact