Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

4 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Early / mid October 2019 to early / mid July 2020. The grant period starts with an orientation in Ecuador organized by the Fulbright Commission. Attendance at the orientation program is mandatory for all English Teaching Assistants (ETAs).

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications should demonstrate an interest in working in an educational environment. Candidates with degrees in English, Spanish, education, or TEFL/applied linguistics with some experience teaching or tutoring are preferred. Other fields will be considered seriously if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy.

Because this is a student program, candidates with more than three years of teaching experience or a Master’s degree in TESOL at the time of application may be considered over-qualified and not eligible for this program.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information:  Spanish language proficiency is necessary in order to settle in easily and communicate on a daily basis. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between the time of application and the commencement of the grant on Application Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation.  A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required.

Successful candidates must be articulate English-speakers with native fluency.

Placement Type

Middle School

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

In order to graduate as ESL teachers, Ecuadorian students attend a four-year undergraduate program. Grantees will be placed at Ecuadorian public universities in the provinces and/or English training programs.

ETAs will be assigned as language-training assistants, but will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. Responsibilities may include giving presentations on different topics related to the United States and its culture, preparing classroom activities, and/or encouraging students to communicate in English. The Fulbright Commission will match the grantee with the appropriate host institution. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the host institution and based on the academic profile of the selected candidate and the host institution’s needs.

Supplementary Project

English Teaching Assistant responsibilities will be up to 20 hours per week; therefore, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. Applicants should consider a project that they intend to pursue if awarded the grant. They should keep in mind that these activities should be flexible respective to geographic location, since they will not know where they will be placed. For example, grantees may pursue a course of study, conduct research into topics or issues relative to Ecuador, engage in specific volunteer activities, or a combination of these. In their Statements of Grant Purpose, applicants should briefly describe their project plans and may address some or all of the following: 1) why the activities are appropriate to Ecuador; 2) skills, talents or other qualifications that they bring to the project plan; 3) how they view this plan as contributing to their professional or educational development; and 4) if and how the plan contributes to the Fulbright goals of mutual understanding and host community engagement. Remember that the primary activity for ETAs is in the classroom and not carrying out the project. The Commission may discuss project alternatives with the grantee when the placement is made. Applicants with strong project proposals may wish to consider the Study/Research grant program.

Factors Affecting Eligibility

Preference will be given to U.S. citizen applicants over dual citizenship (U.S.-Ecuadorian) applicants.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Karen Aguilar

Additional Online Resources

Susana Cabeza de Vaca

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.