Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

4 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Ecuador, a multiethnic country, is also among the five most bio-diverse countries in the world and offers innumerable opportunities for research and study in all fields including the arts.

All grantees are required to participate in an annual orientation session as well as give presentations to the community at-large on their research achievements.

Grant Period

10 Months

Grantees enrolled in coursework should plan to arrive at the beginning of classes in Fall. Otherwise, grantees should plan to arrive by mid-September 2021.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from bachelor's-, master's-, and doctoral-level candidates.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Spanish language proficiency is necessary, not only for the development of the proposed project, but also in order to communicate on a daily basis. Advanced level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should include in the Language Self-Evaluation plans for language study between the time of application and the commencement of the grant. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college-level Spanish language instructor is also required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: n/a


All candidates must include in their application a letter of affiliation from a university, research institution, non-profit, or government research organization. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Tuition costs are not covered by the Fulbright grant. Some universities have granted tuition waivers on a case-by-case basis with a letter from the Fulbright Commission. Students entering degree programs should make provisions to cover tuition costs for the duration of the program.

Security Concerns

Proposals will not be approved for areas in which there is a Level 4 Travel Advisory. At present, some areas in the provinces of Esmeraldas, Carchi and Sucumbios are off limits. Check consult the Department of State Travel Advisories website:

Research Permits

Archaeological sites, national parks, and many wildlife reserves require entrance permits for research and submission of a final report to the institution granting the permit. Permits should be requested by the grantee before the beginning of the grant with enough lead time. Applicants should consult with their institution of affiliation regarding requirements for specific places. Some sites and research will require an ethics board approval of the research project.

Projects in the Galapagos Islands

Temporary residence permits are required and must be obtained through the institution of affiliation. There are no additional allowances to cover the entrance fee to the National Park, costs for residence permits, or research permits.

Factors Affecting Eligibility

Preference will be given to U.S. citizen applicants over dual citizenship (U.S.-Ecuadorian) applicants.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Karen Aguilar

Additional Online Resources

Susana Cabeza de Vaca