Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

30 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Proposals to conduct research and/or study in Brazil, either independently or as part of the candidate's current graduate program, will be considered. Affiliation with an academic institution is central to this type of project, as is the presentation of a well-thought-out research plan.  All applicants are required to demonstrate the relevance of their projects to the Brazil Fulbright Program's mandate, which is to enhance mutual understanding between the United States and Brazil.  

Applicants who will have received a Ph.D. by December 31, 2021 should apply to the Fulbright Scholar Program, see

Grant Period

9 Months

From February to November.

Candidates should plan to attend the mandatory arrival orientation and begin their assignments in Brazil in mid-February or early March 2022. Alternate start dates will not be considered, except in the most extraordinary circumstances. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


In mid-February or early March 2022.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Consider the information below if your research will rely on connections from outside your host institution:

Level: Intermediate Portuguese - 2 years of college-level study or equivalent prior to commencing the grant OR Advanced Spanish - 3 years of college-level study in Spanish or the equivalent prior to commencing the grant, plus an additional study of Portuguese at time of application.

Additional Information: Some Portuguese language proficiency is necessary, not only for the development of the proposed project but also in order to settle in easily and communicate on a daily basis. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between the time of application and the commencement of the grant via the Language Self Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Portuguese language instructor is required.

In the case of Advanced Spanish language skills applicants who have begun the study of Portuguese at the time of application, a Foreign Language Evaluation by a college-level language instructor in both Spanish and Portuguese is required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


All candidates must have an affiliation with an academic institution or research institute. Additional affiliations with non-profit organizations, archives, governmental agencies, etc., are acceptable and may be desirable depending on the nature of the candidate's proposal.

Graduating seniors and recent graduates are required to affiliate with a Brazilian academic institution and to register in at least one class, preferably two, per semester. Candidates are encouraged to state their host institution preferences and to obtain a letter from the institution indicating that courses related to the applicant's research interests are available. 

Master's degree and Ph.D. candidates must also initiate contact with the host institution of preference prior to submitting the application.

Letters of affiliation must accompany the application.

Final approval by the Commission is subject to confirmation of an affiliation. If necessary, the Commission will assist applicants in confirming a possible host institution affiliation or recommending alternate affiliations.

Specific Considerations

Projects are encouraged in all parts of Brazil, not just in the main population centers. Specifically, priority will be given to applicants who locate their projects outside the urban areas of Sao Paulo, Salvador, and Rio de Janeiro.  Be aware that competition for these urban areas is greater because of a proportionally larger number of applications. Applications from all degree levels and in all fields of study are welcome. 

Research Clearance

Research in indigenous areas requires clearance that may take a minimum of ten months. All grantees should check with their host institutions in Brazil before the grant starts about how to apply for clearance.


This award is co-sponsored by CAPES, the Brazilian Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Patricia D. Grijo

Additional Online Resources