Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean

< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

For Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines all applicants will be considered, but Masters and Ph.D. applicants will be given preference.  

Grant Period

10 Months

Most grantees choose to begin in the fall, but the start date is flexible. The academic year begins in August.  The latest possible start date is March 31, 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to the Caribbean are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in the United States in June or July 2021.

The U.S. Embassy requires that grantees contact the Fulbright staff contact at the Embassy once their grant has been confirmed in order to discuss their travel and receive country specific updates.   

Arrival Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliation(s) with academic institutions, research facilities, or other appropriate organizations, and for submitting supporting documentation at the time of application. If there is any doubt about the suitability of an organization, please contact the Fulbright staff at the Embassy.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Not applicable. 

Visa Requirements

U.S. citizens do not require entry visas when traveling to any of the islands except in the case of Barbados, where U.S. grantees in the Fulbright Program must obtain a short-term work permit prior to their arrival on island. This work permit is for the duration of their grant program in Barbados. The grantee is responsible for obtaining the required visa, but the U.S. Embassy will assist by providing the application form and confirmation of the items required as supporting documentation. The grant does not provide for expenses related to visa fees; any visa expenses will be borne by the grantee. 

For travel to all islands, grantees must have a valid passport and a round-trip ticket in order to be granted admittance by the immigration officer. 


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Lisa Howell