Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

1 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

The academic year begins in September and ends in June, including a winter break. It is preferable to arrive at the end of August to have time to find appropriate accommodation and receive an on-site orientation. Academic institutions are closed during the summer months. If the research includes field studies during the summer, the grantee should plan to begin the grant in January.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in June/July 2019 as a condition of their grant.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Kyrgyz or Russian proficiency is recommended. Language proficiency commensurate with the nature of the proposed project is expected prior to commencing the grant.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


The U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section (PAS) will assist in making institutional assignments based on the best and most appropriate match between the interest and expertise of the grantees and the interest of prospective host institutions. An invitation letter may help facilitate placement at that institution, but is not a guarantee of final placement. PAS will decide on the final affiliation. Local institutions must have the capacity to support the work visa of the applicant, which can be cumbersome.  

Research Clearance and Visa Information

Research clearance is not needed, though some archives require official letters from the U.S. Embassy.


Housing arrangements will be made with the assistance of the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy or the host organization. Upon arrival, grantees will stay in a hotel for 3-4 days before moving into an apartment or staying with a local family.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Gulzat Kochorova

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.