Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grantees are strongly encouraged to arrive in August 2020 to attend the in-country orientation during the third week of August. An abbreviated orientation will be held in January 2021 for grantees arriving after the new year.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2020.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: No Ghanaian local language skills are required. However, some study of local languages (e.g., Twi, Fanti, Ga) prior to arrival is encouraged to promote deeper engagement with the host community. Field researchers may need to coordinate with Ghanaian partner institutions for assistance in specific communities. Language training institutes are located in Accra, Kumasi, and Tamale. Intensive private tutoring can also be explored by the grantee.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate Ghanaian institution. Candidates are encouraged to identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and to include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. The formal affiliation procedure, which is completed upon arrival, involves completion of the appropriate forms and may include payment of an affiliation fee. 

Research Clearance

The letter offering affiliation with a university department or other institution may serve as the required research clearance. However, grantees may also need to go through an Institutional Review Board (IRB) process at their home institution and/or Ghanaian host institution (i.e., university or research/teaching hospital.) This may include payment of fees if the grantee is planning on conducting research and/or collecting primary data from vulnerable populations, such as children under the age of 18, and hospital patients.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website