Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.
Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

15 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

Grantees must begin their grants in August 2020 in order to attend a mandatory in-country orientation for 4 weeks in Hanoi before they start their assignments at the host institutions (from September 2020 through May 2021.)

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in the summer of 2020 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Applicants must be American citizens. No previous teaching experience is required but preferred.

Applicants should be self-motivated, adventurous, flexible, independent, mature, and articulate individuals who are committed to adapt and thrive within a variety of intensive cultural environments including the challenges of living in a less comfortable setting. Candidates must be willing and able to physically and mentally adjust to work in the Vietnamese cultural context and the Vietnamese educational system.

As cultural ambassadors, ETAs are expected to exhibit a high level of professionalism and share aspects of American culture with their schools. They are also expected to learn and expose to Vietnamese culture.

ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Proficiency in Vietnamese is not required at the time of application and basic Vietnamese training will be provided to the grantees but we strongly encourage the grantees to prepare themselves with basic Vietnamese prior to arrival.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees are placed at high schools for gifted students, community colleges, teacher training colleges, or universities outside Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. The Fulbright Program in Vietnam will arrange placements for all candidates and will inform the ETA's of their placements once they have been finalized. Most ETA sites are in underserved and rural areas which tend to be more conservative, and ETAs must be prepared to adapt to local customs, local living conditions and norms. Housing situations vary greatly from site to site. Many placements lack conveniences such gyms, and Western groceries. Driving motorbike is not recommended. Candidates must be aware of the loneliness of being the only foreigner in their placement.


Candidates currently residing in Vietnam (or those who will be living there during the 2019-2020 academic year) will not be considered.

Special Application Instructions

Candidates who are recommended for final review will be contacted for interviews via Skype.

Nature of Assignment

Grantees will work up to 30 hours per week, including 14 hours of teaching listening and speaking skills to graded/ full time students and teachers, 14 hours of lesson planning, grading and other cultural exchange and English teaching and learning activities and 2 hours of Vietnamese language learning. Grantees are not supposed to teach English for Specific Purposes (ESP), IELS/TOEFL/TOEIC preparation courses and classes of for-profit English training center run by the host institution.

Independent study

Applicants should not plan an independent study or research project. English Teaching Assistantships are not study/research awards, and teaching-related activities take most of the grantees’ time. The Statement of Grant Purpose should focus on why the applicant wishes to participate in the program in Vietnam and how he/she will make it a memorable cultural experience.


Housing arrangements will be made by the host institutions. Grantees should expect simple but adequate local Vietnamese accommodation which may not be of U.S. standards. 


Host institutions are responsible for grantees’ visa application procedures and fees in Vietnam. They will also be taking care of visa extension or work permit application if needed. Grantees have responsibility to provide all necessary documents for visa application and pay for the any visa issuance fees. The Fulbright Program in Vietnam will coordinate with the grantees and the host institutions in the visa application process.

Special Considerations

Local attitudes toward gender, race, and religion can be surprising and unsettling, and candidates should be prepared to negotiate these cultural differences in their communities with maturity and diplomacy.


The primary activity of this program is assisting in teaching English as a foreign language. It may not be possible for ETAs in Vietnam to undertake independent research or work with non-governmental organizations. However, ETAs are encouraged to seek opportunities for cultural enrichment, including community service, to enhance their overall Fulbright experience as cultural ambassadors.

An accepted grantee's first responsibility is to the Vietnamese host schools. Teaching/Working for profit-making organizations/schools beyond host institutions is not permitted.

There will be a period in school breaks if any and Vietnamese public holidays when the ETAs will have leave time. The use of leave time outside school breaks and Vietnamese public holidays may not be possible. Candidates should not apply for or accept this award unless they are able to commit to this academic schedule.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Ms. Vu Thi Diu