Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between August 2021 and March 2022, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2021.

Arrival Orientation

No Arrival Orientation

In the weeks preceeding their arrival in Ethiopia, each grantee should schedule with the Embassy the time and date of their check-in and security briefing - which should ideally take place within their first three days in the country.

Candidate Profile

Ph.D. candidates who plan to conduct dissertation research are preferred. Master's- and Bachelor's-level candidates with extensive professional experience and/or study in the fields they wish to pursue and who present serious projects matching the U.S. Embassy's priority areas -- peace and security, rule of law and governance, and economic growth – will also be considered. All candidates must be mature and able to carry out independent research projects in an often difficult environment.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: English is the medium of instruction at Ethiopian high schools and universities, and is sufficient for many research topics. Amharic or another local language may be essential for some types of research topics conducted outside of the capital city.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant's responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate Ethiopian institution. Prospective grantees may reach out to the Cultural Affairs Office of the U.S. Embassy for assistance with contacts in the academic community in Ethiopia and for country-specific information. The Embassy strongly recommends that affiliation be with public universities. It has become increasingly difficult for Fulbrighters affiliated with NGOs to obtain an Ethiopian residency permit.

Most research and study by foreign scholars in Ethiopia is undertaken through affiliation with a host university. Applications for affiliation may be obtained from the university's Office of Research and Graduate Studies.  Requests and proposals for study may be submitted by mail to the Office of Research and Graduate Studies or the appropriate department of the host university, along with three copies of the application. Successful applicants are required to pay a registration fee of US$250 (or its equivalent in Ethiopian Birr) before beginning their research. Upon approval of the affiliation proposal, the student researcher will be notified by the Office of Research and Graduate Studies. Candidates should submit their applications at least three months before their intended arrival in Ethiopia. Processing of applications may take up to two months.

The Office of Research and Graduate Studies at Addis Ababa University may be able to offer affiliation to Fulbrighters unable to secure it with other Ethiopian universities. 


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website