Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

8 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Applications are particularly sought in the following disciplines: Environmental Sciences, International Relations, Philippine Area Studies, Geography, History, Arts & Humanities, Anthropology/Archaeology, Law, Education, Linguistics, Journalism, Literature, Political Science, Math, Engineering, Sciences, Public/Global Health, Urban & Regional Planning and Agriculture.

Grant Period

9 Months

Applicants should propose projects that begin mid-August 2021 or mid-January 2022, so that their arrivals will correspond with the beginning of the academic terms of higher education institutions in the Philippines.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Arrival Orientation


Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: In some cases, knowledge of Tagalog, Cebuano, or other local languages will be helpful, but is not a requirement for grant eligibility. Applicants without Filipino language skills should include plans for language study in their Fulbright projects and should plan to study the language concurrent with their research after arriving in the Philippines.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Candidates affiliate with Philippine universities and must include affiliation letters in their Fulbright applications. Applicants are encouraged to check the website of the Commission on Higher Education at (or search the web) for information about the Philippine educational system and its universities, and to directly contact professors at prospective host universities. Other factors being equal, priority will be given to applicants with projects outside of metro Manila.

Selected applicants should discuss possible housing options with their proposed Philippine host institutions.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The program does not cover affiliation fees.


Candidates currently residing in the Philippines (or those who will be living there during the 2020-2021 academic year) will not be considered.

Geographical Restrictions

Proposals to conduct research in Mindanao will not be considered. Applicants should check the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines' website for travel advisories.

Additional Resources

To get a glimpse of the Filipino culture, arts, education, history and current updates about the Philippines, applicants are encouraged to visit the following websites:


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Fulbright Philippines