Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

6 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

The U.S. Embassy offers up to six English Teaching Assistant Awards to U.S. graduates to teach English and serve as U.S. cultural ambassadors in Mongolia.

Grant Period

10 Months

In Mongolia, the academic year runs between early September 2021 and late June 2022 of the following year.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend the pre-departure orientation in the summer of 2021 as a condition of their grants.

Arrival Orientation


All grantees are required to inform the embassy of their arrival date. The embassy will host the grantees for an in-country orientation in August, which consists of survival Mongolian language study, training in ESL co-teaching techniques, and an overview of Mongolian culture and history. On the last day of the in-country orientation, the grantees depart to their assigned host institutions.

Candidate Profile

Applicants should be mature, articulate, and motivated individuals who understand the challenges of the harsh climate and daily challenges of living in a developing country. The most successful ETAs are flexible, open-minded, independent, and industrious. Applicants must be fluent English speakers. Those already holding certificates/degrees in TESOL are encouraged to apply. ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Applicants should demonstrate a clear interest in Mongolia and learning Mongolian. The in-country orientation will include a Mongolian language component, thus some level of self-study is encouraged prior to arrival. 

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

ETAs are typically placed at universities, institutes, or vocational training colleges in Ulaanbaatar, the capital city of Mongolia. Depending on the number and quality of applications received from rural institutions, the Fulbright Mongolia Program might place ETAs outside of the capital.

If an applicant is interested in a placement outside Ulaanbaatar, it should be noted in the Statement of Grant Purpose of the application. Placement decisions are made based on a number of factors, including the level of need for English-speaking instruction in a particular school relative to other schools in the city. However, individuals should not apply for or accept this award unless they are committed to teaching in a placement that may differ from their preferences.

Mongolia is known for its natural beauty and breathtaking vistas on the open steppe. ETAs assigned to Ulaanbaatar often make it a point to travel outside of the city and enjoy Mongolia’s countryside. Famed for its nomadic tradition, Mongolia is also undergoing rapid economic and social development. Although Ulaanbaatar is a growing metropolis with a population over 1.3 million, air pollution can be a health risk in the winter months. 


Candidates currently residing in Mongolia (or those who will be living there during the 2021-2022 academic year) will not be considered.

Special Application Instructions

No research or independent study is required. The English Teaching Assistantship is not a study/research award, and teaching takes most of the grantee’s time. The Statement of Grant Purpose should focus on why the applicant wishes to teach English in Mongolia.

All candidates must indicate in the end of the Statement of Grant Purpose on their applications if they have any medical conditions that could impair their abilities to teach English, including but not limited to conditions worsened by stress such as epilepsy, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Candidates who are recommended for final review may be contacted for a 15-30 minute interview by the embassy via phone or Skype.

Special Considerations

Although Mongolians are welcoming towards westerners in general, there have been incidents of crimes against foreigners, especially towards men. These incidents often occur in areas with nightlife and when foreign men are believed to be accompanied by Mongolian women. Western women can be targets for sexual harassment such as cat calling and offensive gestures. ETAs will receive a safety briefing from the embassy’s regional security officer upon arrival in Ulaanbaatar. Program participants must make mature and sensible choices about personal safety.

Nature of Assignment

Approximately 20 hours of classroom teaching, 8-10 hours of class preparation time, and 6-8 hours of extracurricular English language-related cross-cultural student activities, such as English-speaking clubs at their host institutions per week. ETAs focus on capacity-building through co-planning and co-teaching.

ETAs engage in embassy-initiated public outreach activities, especially those for promoting English language learning. The mix of co-teaching and independent teaching will vary from school to school and will depend on the host institution’s situation, as well as ETA’s background and qualifications. 


Housing arrangements will be facilitated by the host institutions and the U.S. Embassy. ETAs are normally housed in a school dormitory room with private bathroom. In some cases, if the host institute is unable to offer a dormitory room, it provides a comparable housing allowance.

Visa Requirements

ETAs coming to Mongolia MUST obtain an HG Visa to enter the country. The host institutes will assist ETAs to acquire necessary documents, but it is the ETAs' responsibilities to follow up with the host institutes and acquire their visa in time. Due to the national holiday Naadam in mid-July, the Mongolian Embassy and consulate in the United States and local state agencies close for up to five days. It is mandatory for ETAs to start their visa process well in advance. For more information on the HG visa, please visit this website.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Public Affairs Office