Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

12 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
11 Months
Grant Period

11 Months

All grantees are required to begin their grants in early August 2021 in order to attend the in-country orientation program. English Teaching Assistants will be placed at their host institutions from September 2021 through July 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in the summer of 2021 as a condition of their grants.

Arrival Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidates must be mature, open-minded, articulate, resourceful, initiative, motivated, flexible, collaborative and should be committed to working and living in a Lao high school or university setting. Candidates must be fluent English-speakers. Previous teaching experience is preferred.  

ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: All class teaching is in English. Intensive Lao language instruction will be provided during the in-country orientation program. Candidates are encouraged to indicate plans for Lao language study in their applications and to study the language during their grant terms.  

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational Institution

ETAs are placed at universities, teacher training colleges, and high schools in Vientiane, Savannakhet, Luang Prabang, and other sites.

Driving motorbikes in Laos is extremely dangerous and is therefore not permitted.


Candidates currently residing in Laos (or those who will be living there during the 2020-2021 academic year) will not be considered.

Special Application Instructions

Semi-Finalist candidates who are recommended for final review by the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane may be contacted for interviews via skype or phone.

Nature of Assignment

Approximately 20 hours per week of classroom teaching at Lao host institutions, plus requisite class preparation time is expected. English Teaching Assistants will also organize language-related cross-cultural student activities. All affiliation arrangements will be made by the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane.


Housing arrangements will be facilitated by the embassy and/or host institutions.

Supplementary Project

No research or independent study is required. English Teaching Assistantships are not study/research awards and teaching takes most of the grantees' time. In applying, the Statement of Grant Purpose should focus on why the applicant wishes to teach English in Laos, what they bring to the classroom, and how to make it a memorable cultural experience.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website