Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grants will begin in September 2019. The U.S. Embassy in Yaounde will not consider applicants who wish to arrive in the middle of an academic year (i.e., at the beginning of the Spring semester), or wish to depart before the end of the academic year.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2019.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information:

English and French are the official languages of Cameroon. Almost 250 ethnic groups, speaking more than 80 major languages, co-exist in Cameroon. Pidgin is another lingua franca commonly used in all ten administrative regions. Although Cameroon is officially bilingual, French speakers outnumber English speakers by a 4-to-1 ratio. There are eight French-speaking and two English-speaking regions and the acceptance of one language over the other differs from region to region. A working knowledge of French is not required for students who plan to stay in the English-speaking North West and South West regions of Cameroon.  However, a working knowledge of the French language is required for candidates planning to live in the other eight regions of the country.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Research Clearance

Research permits, issued through the Ministry of Scientific Research and Technological Innovation (MINRESI), are required in Cameroon.  Researchers must have institutional affiliations in Cameroon and should indicate in their applications the names and academic titles of individuals and institutions with whom they will work before research permits are issued.  MINRESI requires that researchers work with a Cameroonian or local scholar. This local scholar must have a PhD in order to serve as academic advisor.

Applicants should contact their host institution or the Embassy about applying for a research permit, providing the area of research and timeline. There are three types of research permits: a three-month permit, a six-month permit, and a one-year permit.  Each permit may be renewed once and for each renewal the research team must present a preliminary report of activities. The U.S. Embassy may work with Fulbright grantees to secure research permits, if the need arises.

General Comments

Applications in all fields of study will be considered, but preference is given to researchers in: economic development, the humanities, natural resource management, natural and technical sciences, public health and political science.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Gerald Leinyuy Chilla

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.