Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

Fulbright-Fogarty Public Health Fellowship Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Award Profile

The Fulbright-Fogarty fellowship in Jamaica offers U.S. graduate and post-graduate students in the health sciences practical experience designing and conducting clinical research in Jamaica.

Affiliation: Caribbean Institute for Health Research, University of West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica

The Caribbean Institute for Health Research (CAIHR) was established on October 1, 1999 by the University of West Indies to increase the output of research in major areas affecting the health of people in the Caribbean, train research scientists working in health and facilitate the uptake of research into policy, programs and practice. CAIHR, in collaboration with local, regional and international partners, has extensive experience providing graduate training and has hosted students, scholars & researchers for practicum placements, research training and opportunities. Dr. Kacey C. Ernst and colleagues at the University of Arizona have collaborated with the Epidemiology Research Unit and the Jamaica Ministry of Health and Wellness in chikungunya research. They currently collaborate on the analysis of the infectious and vector borne diseases module of the 2016/17 Jamaica Health and Lifestyle Survey, a nationally representative survey and work on climate change and vector borne disease.

Research Areas of Interest:

  • Chronic Disease Epidemiology: Obesity, Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Cancer, Mental Health (including dementia) and Sickle Cell Disease
  • Infectious Disease Epidemiology: Vector Borne Diseases, HIV, Sexually Transmitted Infections
  • Maternal Heath & Child Development

U.S. Partner: Global Health Equity Scholars

Site Contacts:

Grant Period

9 Months

Most grantees choose to begin in the fall, but the start date is flexible. The last possible start date is March 31, 2022.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to the Caribbean are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in the U.S. in June or July.

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston requires that grantees contact them no later than a month after the Pre-Departure Orientation to begin to discuss transitioning to Jamaica. Early contact helps Embassy staff to cater to specific needs of the grantee in a timely way. The grantee must remain accessible by email or other social media platform.

In addition, grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation with NIH in July.

Candidate Profile

Candidates must fall under one of the following categories: Post-third year medical school; Ph.D. students in health sciences (post-Master’s-level), and must be enrolled in an accredited doctoral level program (MD, PhD or equivalent). The MD students must have completed their 3rd year and the PhD candidates must have completed all their master's level coursework. They must be enrolled in accredited doctoral level program (MD, PhD or equivalent) in public health, government, business, design, engineering, education, medicine, nutrition, law, pharmacy, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and nursing.

Accepted Degree Levels


Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are required to obtain a letter of support from the site contact.

When emailing project contacts, please include both contacts and attach a current CV and a concise statement (less than 500 words) about your interest in the program (especially your primary research interest).

Special Application Instructions

Select "Fulbright-Fogarty" for Award Type in the application.

All Fulbright-Fogarty applicants pursuing a placement in Jamaica should select “Public Health” as the Field of Study in the Fulbright application.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website