Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

35 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) generally depart for Indonesia in late July.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in the summer of 2018 as a condition of their grant.

The grant period will also include a two-week orientation in Indonesia that includes basic instruction in teaching methodologies. 

Candidate Profile

Candidates must be mature, articulate, resourceful, flexible, have relevant teaching experience and be committed to working in an instructional setting with Indonesian high school students. Applicants with degrees in Education, English, and TESOL are given preference, but candidates from all majors are welcome to apply. Candidates must be native English-speakers. As cultural ambassadors, ETAs are expected to exhibit a high level of professionalism and share aspects of American culture with their schools. ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Some study of Indonesian prior to arrival is recommended in order to ease transition to school and community life. The following websites may be useful:

1. http://ipll.manoa.hawaii.edu/tiw/tiw/

2. www.learningindonesian.com/free/lesson

3. http://livemocha.com

4. http://www.mangolanguages.com/

5. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Indonesian/Lessons/Introduction

ETAs will be provided very basic language instruction in Indonesian as part of the in-country orientation and one-on-one tutors at site, if requested.

ETAs are not eligible for the Critical Language Enhancement Award.

Departing for a trip outside Indonesia prior to completion of the permit process is not allowed, due to Indonesian immigration regulations.

Placement Type

Secondary School

ETAs will typically work with Indonesian high school teachers in teaching conversational English to students at selected public and private schools, including Islamic boarding schools, throughout Indonesia, some of which are in remote areas. Approximately 20-25 hours per week of classroom teaching alongside local English teachers, plus requisite class preparation time and school-related activities, will be required. ETAs are also expected to engage in activities in the communities where they live, for which small amounts of funding will also be available.

Before applying, all applicants should carefully review the information on the following website: http://www.aminef.or.id/grants-for-americans/information-consider/ 

The ETA Guidebook gives background on the program based on previous ETAs' experiences: https://goo.gl/M0lsVA 


Applicants currently residing in Indonesia (or those who will be living there during the 2017-2018 academic year) are not eligible.

Special Application Instructions

Upon receipt of the Fulbright award, all English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) will be expected to complete a 120-hour online TESOL course designated by AMINEF.


Housing arrangements are made by the schools where ETAs will be placed, subject to approval by AMINEF. Some ETA sites are in remote, rural areas which tend to be more conservative, and ETAs must be prepared to adapt to local customs, conditions and norms. Housing situations vary greatly from site to site. Many placements lack conveniences such as air conditioning, hot water, gyms, and Western groceries. Internet connectivity speeds will vary by location. This requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability on the part of the ETAs.


The primary activity of this program is assisting in teaching English as a foreign language. Because of visa and permit restrictions, it is not possible for ETAs in Indonesia to undertake independent research or work with non-governmental organizations. However, ETAs are encouraged to seek opportunities for cultural enrichment, including community service, to enhance their overall Fulbright experience as cultural ambassadors.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

American Program, AMINEF

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.