Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Hong Kong

< Back to country

2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

All grantees must attend an in-country orientation in August 2019. The school year begins in mid-August and runs through June 2020.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in the summer of 2019 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Applicants should have outstanding spoken and written English skills. They should be motivated, self-directed individuals with an interest in teaching and cultural exchange.  An ability to work well with other ETAs, International Tutors and local teachers in a team teaching environment is a must. Applicants are expected to provide teaching and administrative support. Background in English language teaching preferred. ETAs are expected to live within the community of students and should be comfortable about residing in a communal environment. They are also expected to be good communicators and able to organize extra-curricular activities. ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: No Cantonese or Mandarin language skills are required. All instruction is in English.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees will be placed at higher education institutions in Hong Kong.


Applicants currently residing in China, Hong Kong, or Macau (or those who will be living there during the 2018-2019 academic year) will not be considered.

Nature of Assignment

About 40 hours per week to prepare for and offer English tutorial support, including delivering small group tutorials, organizing extra-curricular language-learning activities, and teaching curricular components.


Housing is generally provided with single room occupancy in a college dormitory or as appropriate. Housing arrangements will be facilitated by the host institution.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Public Affairs Section

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.