Fulbright U.S. Student Program

European Union

< Back to country

1 Fulbright Anniversary in Europe Award - Migration Studies

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

To mark the 70th anniversary of the creation of the Fulbright program in Europe, a very special multi-country award on migration issues will be offered to an American student to carry out an independent study/research project in Belgium, France, Greece, Italy and the UK.

More than one million refugees poured into Europe in 2015, sparking a crisis as countries struggled to cope with the influx, creating divisions in the EU over how best to deal with genuine refugees and asylum seekers over economic migrants. Many sacred tenets of the European experiment, like the Schengen agreement of open borders have been severely challenged. Walls have gone up and political parties are deadlocked on how to resolve the crisis.

To mark the 70th anniversary of the Fulbright bilateral programs in Belgium, France, Greece, Italy and the UK, the five Commissions are welcoming applications in the Fulbright Student Program from candidates interested in carrying out an independent study/research project on how all five countries are currently addressing the question of migration and integration in Europe.

The award is for 10 to 12 months. It is requested that at least two months is spent in each of the participating countries. A final debriefing and a presentation of the findings will be organized by the Fulbright Commission of the last country visited.

Proposals may approach the topic from various perspectives be they legal, political, socioeconomic or ethno-cultural. Proposals must explain how each stay in the five participating countries should contribute to the overall significance of the proposed project.

Grant Period

10 Months

The grant period is August through July, with exact start dates decided with host institutions. Grants are for ten to twelve months, and applicants should propose research/study in all five participating countries. A minimum period of two months is required in each EU member state. Dates for the in-country orientation will be supplied by the Fulbright Commissions in Belgium, France, Greece, U.K., and Italy.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Language requirements are commensurate with the nature of the project. Some study of local languages prior to arrival is encouraged to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are responsible for arranging affiliations and for submitting supporting documentation for each institution with which they plan to affiliate. This documentation should specify dates and length of time to be spent at each location.


U.S. citizens who currently reside in the EU or receive other European Commission funding (such as Marie Curie, Erasmus Mundus, etc.) for the same activity are ineligible for consideration.

Special Application Instructions

In your Embark Online Application, please select European Union in Section 2: County to Which You are Applying.

In your Embark on-line application, Question #22 Award Name please select Europe Anniversary Award from the drop down menu to be considered for this award.

Applicants must include a timeline of the proposed project in the Statement of Grant Purpose. Please include the proposed start and end month in the host countries.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.