Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Palestinian Territories (West Bank)

< Back to country

4 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

The U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem's Palestinian Affairs Unit aims to increase English language levels of local Palestinian audiences through awarding 4 English Teaching Assistant (ETA) grants for the 2021-2022 academic year.

The ETA program requires up to 20 hours per week of part-time English-teaching at Palestinian Affairs Unit-managed American Spaces in Jerusalem, Ramallah, and potentially other cities in the West Bank. ETAs will lead English conversation and American culture classes for local community members - a wide range of youth and adult audiences - at these spaces, including classes via digital video conferencing to engage audiences in Gaza. This is a non-traditional teaching assignment, as course cycles at American Spaces are typically 2 months long. ETAs should expect to constantly engage with new students with some repeat students across cycles. ETAs should also be prepared to create their own lesson plans and activities with limited guidance and supervision. 

The ETA program may also include teaching and collaborating with local universities, secondary schools, civil society partners, and other education institutions needing support for English language teaching as time and circumstances permit. ETAs will be expected to be proactive and innovative in their style of teaching in order to maintain participants’ enthusiasm and their participation in class. At the same time, ETAs will gain from intensive cross-cultural interaction and international educational and/or research opportunities.

Independent study or research, or community service that does not conflict with assigned teaching responsibilities, is encouraged, but financial stipends are not available for this purpose. 

Grant Period

10 Months

Grant dates are flexible but preferably will run September 2021 through June 2022. 

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a U.S.-based Pre Departure Orientation in June or July 2021 as a condition of their grants.

Arrival Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a half-day in-country orientation at the U.S. Embassy's Palestinian Affairs Unit in Jerusalem that will include a mandatory security briefing.  

Candidate Profile

Holders of Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees as well as doctoral students may apply for the fellowship. Those still engaged in Bachelor’s degree studies at the time of application are also eligible, if they complete their studies and receive their degrees prior to the planned commencement date of their fellowships (May 2021).

Applicants should be knowledgeable of world issues, and be articulate, resourceful, tolerant, flexible, and mature. They should also demonstrate the initiative, leadership, and confidence required to assist with the teaching of English in a foreign setting. The fluid security and political environment in Jerusalem and the West Bank requires a high degree of flexibility, maturity, and self-reliance. Some knowledge of the Middle East is preferred but not required. 

All fields of study will be considered, but strong preference is given to studies related to the teaching of English, bilingual education, and linguistics.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Applicants must be articulate fluent English speakers. Previous study, work, or travel experience in the Middle East and some Arabic language study/familiarity is preferred but not required.

Placement Type

Other Educational Institution

Security Information

All American grantees in Jerusalem and the West Bank must live within the municipal boundaries of Jerusalem or any major city in Area A of the West Bank, including Jericho, Ramallah, the Bethlehem area (including Bethlehem, Beit Jala, and Beit Sahour), Birzeit, Nablus, Hebron, Tul Karem or Jenin.

Grantees are advised to work with Post to find lodging in the above mentioned locations. The location of all proposed residences must be individually reviewed by the U.S. Embassy's Regional Security Office (RSO) and approved by the Palestinian Affairs Unit's Public Affairs Section. The grantee must share their contact information and home address as soon as obtained. Furthermore, RSO will provide grantees with emergency contact information for the U.S. Embassy and local emergency services.

Due to security conditions, grantees are prohibited from hitch-hiking or using public buses in Israel and the Palestinian Territories - West Bank. Renting a car is allowed, as is the use of private and service taxi cabs and the light rail in Jerusalem depending on local security conditions.

Grantees must agree to refrain from or modify their travel to certain parts of the Palestinian Territories - West Bank or the West Bank in its entirety, if the U.S. Embassy's Emergency Action Committee determines that such travel is unsafe. If there are changes to the Post travel policy, the Palestinian Affairs Unit will coordinate notification to the grantees and notify RSO. 

Grantees may not travel to the Palestinian Territories - Gaza Strip under any conditions. Grantees should avoid refugee camps and all demonstrations. 

All American grantees must initially enter via Israel's Ben Gurion Airport. RSO will provide a security briefing to review travel in and out of the Palestinian Territories - West Bank. Although the U.S. Embassy's Palestinian Affairs Unit will make every effort to assist with long-term visas, grantees and their accompanying dependents may need to renew their visas every three months. All expenses associated with visa renewals and the exit/reentry costs associated with the renewal process are the responsibility of the grantees, in accordance with their grant terms and conditions. Grantees must recognize the possibility that visa renewal requests may be denied.


The host institution will not provide housing but the U.S. Embassy’s Palestinian Affairs Unit will assist grantees in locating nearby and appropriate housing.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Jenny Palmer

Additional Online Resources

State Department Travel Advisory