Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicants are encouraged to contact the Fulbright Program Adviser at their most recent alma mater to inquire if the institution can support alumni/ae through the application process. If not, non-enrolled applicants are welcome to apply at “at-large” candidates.

Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Please visit the Getting Started page for next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7-years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Faculty/Staff/Professionals

If you are a U.S. citizen and faculty or staff at a U.S. institution, or professional interested in applying, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to come to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


< Back to country

2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The grant length is 9-10 months, from September to June.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in June or July as a condition of their grant.

Arrival Orientation


August 30-31.

Candidate Profile

The ideal candidate would be someone self-driven with a strong commitment to community service. Candidates who already possess a Bachelor's degree in the humanities or social sciences, with a focus on English, American studies, or education will be preferred, although anyone with experience in mentoring, teaching or working with youth will be strongly considered.

Teaching assistant activities may include: 1) serving as a resource person in conversation groups; 2) providing small group tutorials; 3) assisting students with reading and written English; 4) giving presentations related to American studies in English classes and to school/civic organizations; 5) preparing and organizing American culture-related activities, including movie nights and holiday celebrations; and 6) starting and running English language clubs.

Previous teaching experience is preferred. Applicants must be fluent English speakers. In addition, the ETA program in Lithuania has a research and community service component, and close collaboration with U.S. Embassy-run programs and initiatives is expected.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Lithuanian, Polish or Russian is useful in certain regions. Language proficiency is not required, but is encouraged.

Placement Type

Middle School

Secondary School

Other Educational Institution

Grantees may be placed in regional schools or other venues where English language instruction is needed. Applicants may indicate a host institution preference, but the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy will seek the most appropriate placements.

Grantees will assist an experienced English instructor and will serve as a resource for conversation, vocabulary, and reading and writing courses. Grantees may also be involved with some educational advising and outreach. Grantee hours and responsibilities will be discussed with the PAS and finalized prior to arrival in Lithuania.

Visa Requirements

All grantees must secure a National D visa before departing for Lithuania. Please contact the Lithuanian Embassy in Washington D.C. for instructions on how to apply for a D visa.


Dependent support is available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Rasa Baukuviene, Educational Affairs Specialist

Additional Online Resources

Lithuania - Country Profile