Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

4 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

October 2018 to the end of June 2019. ETAs should plan to arrive in Israel in the Fall of 2018 in order to participate in the Foundation’s in-country orientation.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Attending the Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington D.C. in June or July 2018 is a condition of the grant.

Candidate Profile

Applicants with degrees in all fields of study will be considered, but preference will be given to those who hold a degree in English literature, TEFL/linguistics, American studies or education.

Candidates should be articulate individuals with the skills and motivation needed to assist teaching English language and also American culture to Israeli Jewish and Israeli Arab college students. Awards are granted on the basis of academic excellence, the leadership promise of the applicant, and their potential to both advance knowledge and enhance mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and Israel.

Preference will be given to applicants who have had limited or no prior experience in Israel.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Knowledge of intermediate Hebrew and/or Arabic is recommended.  Two years of college-level study, or the equivalent, prior to commencing the grant is recommended.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

ETAs will be placed in English classes at colleges according to their background, level of teaching experience, and field of knowledge.


Individuals already residing in Israel are not eligible to apply for a grant.

Candidates who have already completed all the requirements for receipt of a doctoral degree by the application deadline are not eligible to request post-graduate student fellowships.

Nature of Assignment

ETAs assist English teachers in the classroom for up to 20 hours per week. They may be asked to conduct conversation practice in small groups and/or help students from underprivileged communities with a poor command of the English language. Assignments may vary depending on the host institution's needs and the ETA's abilities.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.